First Day Orientation

Discussion in 'Celadon' started by fueldog, Feb 9, 2009.

1. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    It sucked!!! We were in Louisiana and Texas in September, and they make you so paranoid to idle that you don't for fear of getting fired; I believe the idle time could not be over 18% so if we idled all night he would go over, the truck would slow way down, and his DM would start sending the crabby messages. Isn't being fatigued from lack of sleep due to the heat a safety issue??? Not to mention dehydrated from sweating all night:biggrin_25510:and I don't know about you but there is no way in heck we are leaving the windows rolled down at a truck stop in the south (or anywhere) at night. Not that it would have helped.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rightLayne

rightLayne Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Wishing you good luck on your trip back to Indy and hope you get a good truck...finger crossed.

Let us know how it goes.

talk to ya soon.:biggrin_25525:

4. rightLayne

Feb 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I don't know but I would rather leave my windows down in the south than in the north and take my chances.

5. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    Hey you all,,

Fueldog, hear,, Where in the world are you getting that you can't idle after 5 minutes... Celadon's policy is, If its Hot or Cold, You can Idle All You want..... Just don't Idle when You don't need to.. They Want the Drivers to be comfortable... There a lot of drivers that idle when there are no need to.. That is why they have the 5 minute cut off, but you can Override that.. They ask that you just don't idle over 5 unless its to hot or cold for you.. Again.. they want you to be comfortable...
    Hope All You Drivers are do'n good.... Things are still good here for me at Celadon. I stay out 3 1/2 - 4 wks at a time... miles are averaging 2200-2500 a week, things are picking up.. Not much sitting time. I'm Happy with the operation.. Good clean freight, and good shippers..No its not a perfect world or place, but you show me one that is, and tell me you joined on, then let me know...:):)

Be Safe, and Keep Jamm'n

Fueldog See Ya, your next Rightlane :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. rightLayne

Feb 16, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hey all,
    I got a Laredo load and dropped by the house to do the passport photos and sent it in to get renewed. Can't go to Canada after June 1st with just the birth cert. anymore. I get good mile doing the Canada runs and they told me they would flag me from going in the next few weeks unless I got my passport. I had the app but never did it because it was a $75 renewal and I didn't have it at first.
    Things are picking up with freight, starting to have less time sitting in between, some are long on delivery times which gives me a day at home for free, yeehaw.
    Hope all is well...Fueldog hang on to that wheel I hear on the weather channel it's gotten awfully windy out there, in fact they had a guy on 40 in nashville right downtown who was blown over by the wind.
    Be safe.:biggrin_25519:

7. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    Hey, rightlane,
    Been awhile,, looks like for me I'm getting a little burned out with dumb and dumber here at Celadon... looks like as weeks push on I'm going to find smart and smarter.. can't take the stupid stuff much longer.. Hope your doing Ok.

Fueldog:biggrin_2552:

8. ThreadingToolGuy

ThreadingToolGuy Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Menomonee Falls, WI
    I got a feeling if the 3 of us got together, we'd probably have "alot" to talk about. Fueldog, unless I'm mistaken, your Celadon attitude has turned a tad negative. I'm afraid that I'm with you if that's the case. Not sure I still understand what's happening, but it is pretty obvious that it has to do with Management - or lack of it. The "economy" has nothing to do with it! Let's face the facts - if Celadon magically had 500 less drivers tomorrow, do you think are mileage might be up? Conversely, if we had 500 more, do you think our mileage might be lower? Maybe we're not in "rocket science" territory here. I came in with positive aspirations, but really feel very disappointed that I may have wasted alot of time. You would think that a company like Celadon (or similar) that had a Driver that performed, would "run the hell out of him or her". Funny thing is, the folks that I speak to that seem satisfied all have one thing in common - they all state that "their DM's keep them moving". Mine says he has nothing to do with the "Planning" Dept. - go figure. I've gone to Operations, but not any better. Unbelievable how many "good & decent" people I have had the benefit of meeting and dealing with, but ... Take care you guys! Be safe out there, and have fun! Regards, Al

9. fueldog

fueldog Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Agricola,MS
    Guess, the frustration builds from all the planning of way trucks and miles and load are put together, and we're caught in the middle.. It's true that planning controls the reins... but the different DM like ourselves handle them differently... Now this week for me, after giving the message that I was getting frustrated with the way miles,trips,etc was being handles, all of a sudden like a switch flipped and this week was descent,, 2700m, not great, but not bad. I'm sure if you think about it, planning has there hands full, trying to work loads, shippers cosignee schedules, driver miles, days off, location of trucks, etc.. so you have to givem some credit with all that. After doing some close looking at some other carriers, and what is going on in the industry, Celadon is still a good place to be when you look at the overall picture.. However, that said, Time will really tell.. Now Fuel costs jumping fifty to eighty cents a gallon is not going to help anyone, it just slows the economy pickup, etc..
    Going to hang tough, give it more time.. over all the miles have picked up ever so slightly, say on average its come up a few hundred a week at best... What Say You All
    Happy Jam'n Out there and Be Safe,, Look out for those RV's and Campers, or course then there's the Cellphone 4wheelers :)

:biggrin_25520:

10. amsn

amsn Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2009
    mississippi
    i talk to a Celadon requiter today and they told me i they would take me and i told her i would call her back can one of there current drivers highligh some of the things i might need to talk to them about and also hows the miles there right now i know i came off the road in feb and they were HORRIABLE THEN

11. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    As i think fueldog said in a post watch out for four wheelers as they want you to hit them.. a semi truck is a rolling bill board and the general public thinks these trucking companies have money, so they can do something to make you hit them or make it seem you hit them just to get the money, its not fair and not right legaly or morally, but somehow everyone is now sue happy,, sue to get money instead of working, so yes be very careful out there in a big truck, my thought on being careful is that everytime you get in the seat of that rig, treat it as if its your first time out everytime and you will do fine, if you act like you have won the battle with the truck and you are big trucker you will lose, either hurting yourself in a wreck or someone else or killing someone, i wouldnt want that on anyones consience, nor do i want any driver going to jail for a four wheelers death. you have fun take care and be safe, Gods speed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.