First NYC run. What to expect?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Meepo77,, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Luse

Luse Medium Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Middle of nowhere Montana
    L.A. area is more truck friendly then NYC area L.A area is more forgiving in oops wrong turn then NYC area. But traffic wise L.A. sucks more imo, then Boston is #2 imo, then NYC area then Dallas freakin Dallas is one big construction zone

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Meepo77,

Meepo77, Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    Update:
    Well, I made the deliveries, and all in all, it went very well.

I downloaded a truck route map from nydot and verified what the Qualcomm gps said to do. Turns out the Qualcomm gets it right. So I didn't have too many worries there.

The horrendous traffic started about 40 miles outside the city. Apparently people commute from pretty far out. As I got closer to the GW bridge, I saw 2 wrecks and a poor trucker who's engine apparently overheated. He was stopped in the left lane with the hood up. I felt bad for him. Those things didn't help traffic any, but it was pouring a glass of water into the ocean. Hardly mattered.

I think it took an hour to get across the Bronx and into Queens. Less than 20 miles. Things got better once I was in Queens, at least with the traffic. But what I feared happened. I had called the customer to verify the address. They said it was right, but it turns out I had asked the wrong question. The address I had been given was not where they actually received deliveries. That location was a few miles away in Brooklyn.

Getting there got a little hairy, but I managed not to hit anything. Fortunately, the delivery location had an open curb with no parking big enough for me to park out of the travel lane. They unloaded me with a forklift and pallet jack and forklift. Since it was a bakery, I went in and got some delicious pastries.

Then it was on to Hicksville. Once I got out of the Queens/Brooklyn area, it started to feel more like a town anywhere else in the country. The worst part was getting to the customer and having to do a blind side back into an alley off of a 2 lane road. That wasn't fun. Fortunately it wasn't a heavily travelled road.

Anyway, it was an interesting experience. I also found out that Swift pays a $100 bonus for going into NYC. Not sure I'd do it again, but it was worth doing once. I'll post a couple pics, too.

Attached Files:

4. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    good job!

Meepo77, Thanks this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Get in there at 10 at night and leave there at 2 in the morning and it should be smooth sailing with no delays.

tech10171968 Thanks this.
  6. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    I can remember my first delivery there as a noob over 20 years ago before GPS and what not and when crossed the GW Bridge saw these signs that no trucks over about 13 foot high on the Queens expressway so I jumped off and then running around the lower roads and then found out that I need to get back up on the expressway. That is when I learned that the height signs are for the winter after a large snow storm and roads not plowed yet. Also was in the city that had my first accident. Had to make a right turn and there was no way because of a car parked illegally on the corner. Popped my breaks and a NYPD comes up and tells me that I have to make my turn and I told him that if I do something bad is going to happen. Told me to make my turn and yes, something bad happened. On my way out, there was a ticket on the car that I ran over the hood

7. Meepo77,

Meepo77, Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2015
    That's awesome.

8. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Well done meep.

Meepo77, Thanks this.
  9. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    The big bad wolf ain't so big and bad anymore. Good Job!

10. gonejpn

gonejpn Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2015
    I used to haul live chickens into Brooklyn twice a month. Yup I said live lol. We would go in after midnight and park in the street to unload.

11. burnsey

burnsey Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    seacoast, NH
    A friend of mine said his grandfather had to do EXACTLY the same thing in NYC. . . . stopped short to avoid hitting the illegally parked car, local LEO gave him the green light to drive over it then left. Apparently that's just everyday life in "The Big Apple" lol. :dontknow:

White_Knuckle_Newbie and MM3Deg Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.