First truck purchase?? Advice

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by theRookie1, Oct 11, 2016.

1. theRookie1

theRookie1 Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2016
    So I am looking into buying my first truck and strting my own business.

Can I get away with a used truck 400k miles for 55-65k price or should I go with something with less miles and pay an additional 20-30k

What do you all think??? I see a lot of Vovlos that seem ok for my first truck but I also see some newer trucks for 90k.

Please help my fellow drivers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckDrivingtn

TruckDrivingtn Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Maryville Tn
  4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Buy from a private person you can get trucks a lot cheaper... then using a dealer.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Before you do anything read this carefully.

From this thread

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...ne-delt-with-otr-leasing.245383/#post-5495187

OTRReeferRunner wrote this and he is right in target.

FYI! A lot of problems could have been avoided if you guys would have spend the extra $1000 or so to get the truck fully checked out! That is why you should have a 3rd party repable diesel mechanic or dealership check the truck out from the front bumper to the rear mud flaps! The following things a the least should have been done before you took procession of the truck:

1. Oil samples (detects any internal problems with engine, transmission, and rearends)
    2. ECU download (detects fault codes, idle hours, actual miles on the truck, and etc.,)
    3. Blowby Test (piston & rings, compression test and etc.,)
    4. Dyno test ( a full report on the complete health of the engine)
    5. Obtain maintenance reports.

If you don't do the following things you are sure have serious problems with truck! Buying CMV is not like buying a regular passenger vehicle, just walk around it, kick the tires, drive it round the block and sign the paperwork! You are setting youself up for guarantee failure with this approach!

So you can get this.

The truck is spec'ed for the work you do, it does not matter what brand it is because they are all the same. But it does matter on what you are going to use it for.

The truck is cheap part. The repairs and maintaining it isn't.

There are a lot more trucks chasing owners than owners (potental or real) chasing trucks.

You have the check out costs on the front end to fix the problems and then negotiate the price if the truck is acceptable. I wrote up some really good info on how I buy a truck and what I did for a few on the last few used ones.

If you are not willing to put in the $400 to $1000 to check out a truck, then you are asking for problems down the road.

I have bought trucks for $5k and I ran them for 5 years. On the other hand I have junked a couple trucks that were in better shape than those selling for $20 or $30k I've seen advertised.

So a truck is a tool, don't get wrapped up in it, it is just a tool.

Lepton1, kenn2632, SoDel and 5 others Thank this.
  6. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Road Killer Thanks this.
  7. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Pre emissions is the only way to go. Trust me I bought a 2009 and ended up rebuilding the motor.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  8. JerryD13

JerryD13 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2016
    So your buying a Truck - well there are plenty of crooks who will OVER CHARGE you for
    your truck - you must buy a truck with time - if your in a hurry you will get burned, mostly
    by paying to much for the truck and getting a truck that may have major issues because you
    thought it was a great deal.

Take your Time

The finance companies are Rip Offs - if you do not have a Previous Commercial Loan History they will charge you major interest 25 - 30% PLUS you need 30% down - EVEN if you have good credit - its a dog eat dog world with used truck sales - you are the desert

ALWAYS BEST TO PAY CASH IF POSSIBLE - OTHERWISE CHILL OUT AND WAIT TILL
    YOU HAVE A SOLID DOWN PAYMENT and proper financing for the right truck.

** high interest rate loans -- will eat all your profits up - for years to come !!

DO THE MATH --> they will not tell you how much you are really paying -- you have to
    figure this out yourself, thats how shady the truck finance companies are.

* Remember there are plenty of used Parts for Frieghtliner

Take your time -

9. Moparjoe

Moparjoe Light Load Member

May 3, 2014
    Im in the same position right now. trying to buy a dump truck in florida. found a truck 2015 pete glider. old school big cam400. getting financed to start a buisness is very hard.very hard. i have a nice down payment and still having trouble getting financed. have all papers in order to start said buisness. and even yet its still hard. anyone on here know finance people that are willing to help the little guy.

10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Your taking a big chance with the new emission truck. If you really want to get a truck get a new 2016 truck with a new rebuilt pre emission engine before they stop making them. You just can't to to California with the truck. They seem to be about $130,000 a new 2016 cascading with a new 2000 model year engine.

http://www.htctrucks.com/index.php/inventory

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.