First Truck Volvo 770?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by HaulIt, Feb 11, 2016.

1. HaulIt

HaulIt Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2013
    South West Florida
    Been lurking for a couple of years. I have really appreciated the wealth of knowledge.

I'm looking at first truck purchase and have found a Volvo that seems perfect. 2001 12.7, 500hp, 13 speed, 3.73 rears, local Florida truck not a scratch anywhere. 800,000 miles and never had any major work. Original owner since new hauling light loads always serviced at dealer, verified. $20k.

I know there will be some major upcoming maintenance issues, but it seems to have the right parts.

Hauling agriculture loads South East and Florida, both step deck and some reefer.

Since everything but brakes are basically original is this truck going to keep me in the shop and off the road?

Appreciate any input.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Nobody on earth could give a solid answer to that question

Even spending the money to have everything combed through by an excellent mechanic will only limit your risk, it won't nullify it altogether.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If it's been taken care of it may be good for a couple more years yet before an inframe.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    770's are really heavy tractors.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  6. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    I have a 2008 Volvo 630 with a D12 ( No Emissions) that just tapped 802,000 miles. She went to the shop today for oil pressure problems. Its the main bearings :( GL

7. HaulIt

HaulIt Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2013
    South West Florida
    Well so far I agree with you all. Been looking for a while and it seems this is the first truck that appears well cared for. If an inframe was the worst I would be OK with that. Hopefully not a rear this month and clutch in two months followed by a rebuild.

It's frustrating looking at trucks and all I find is junk mostly. I guess the repairs are always unknown when they will pop up.

It's heavy I guess around 19,000? It should suit my needs though. But I was trying to find something lighter. Newer Prostars with a cummins , but I assumed too much maintenance. Was trying not to get a Freightliner. But maybe I'll run across a nice one.

8. HaulIt

HaulIt Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2013
    South West Florida
    Sorry for your luck. How much does your 630 scale. There is a few nice 630 around here for sale.

9. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Honestly man I have no idea. Shes never left Florida since I bought her. As long as my tandems are slid all the way forward I stay in the bypass lane . Love the 630s though. Simple and Practical.

HaulIt Thanks this.
  10. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I have a 2007. Same as you. It's at 920xxx miles. I want to get rid off it.

It's a good truck-- everything has been changed on it. From clutch, EGRs, EGR cooler, turbo, gearbox, you name it.

Runs good with no leaks, but I want a new truck. It's a money maker now but Im tired of the same truck.

HaulIt and LumbraX Thank this.
  11. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I have an APU on mine. With a reefer I can scale up to 47k max.

HaulIt and LumbraX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.