First year done...

Discussion in 'Prime' started by darthanubis, Aug 18, 2016.

1. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Now I'm bored. I'm not the best driver, not the worst. Have had some bad luck out here, but I have nothing bad to say about Prime. The only way I'd leave is to get my own truck and pull for Landstar. I'll wait another year for that.

But I'm considering switching to pulling a skateboard. How difficult is it to switch divisions and is it like Landstar, a free two day securement class, then I'm off. Or do I have to live in the truck with another clown for a few weeks? If the latter, I may just wait till I get to LS.

I'd like a local job in Florida, but the pay is HALF what I can make now. I need to get my hazmat for that gig to pull containers from Miami.

All in all, looking to make the same or more money while having a life. But Prime has been good. I really like seeing other Prime drivers out and about, it's like family. Really like that. No one bothers me, and I stay running. This is my first time in the hole, and that's only because I took a week and a half vacation. I should be out of the hole in a week. I won't need to take advances because I've got money saved up.

The only complaints I have are about OTR on general, not Prime. My relationship with my FM is cool, and we stay paid and rolling.

I'm rambling, but the consistent theme here is, I chose a good starter company to get my CDL, and it's keeping me paid. Probably the highest paid big company out there. I just want a change of pace. Flatbed, Intermodal, different part of the country, something.

Thanks for reading. All my Prime brothers that helped me on this board through my first year, you guys are the best and do a great job here for us new drivers. You got me through my first winter, my first company driver gig, and my first lease start. I've met a few of you IRL, and you were even better in person!

To you new guys getting on greyhound, you'll be fine. I got a new buddy who is training now, and he is pushing out students who are trifecting! It'll make sense later. His trainer is one of the guys on this board who contributes in a major way. Just saying, you made the right choice.

Peace and hair grease!

nofreetime, KriegHund, BigSky and 10 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Glad to hear your first year has been good here at prime! It's amazing how much like a family it is here and that's why I keep pointing new drivers this way and help them when I can.

Good luck on your second year here. My understanding is you'll just need the securement class and your lease will be modified for being a skateboard puller and a headache rack installed.

4. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  5. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Thank you! That's good to hear!

And a belated congratulations to you on your authority. Maybe you can do a write up on that whole process?

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  6. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Met a lady last year that switched divisions. She said it was just the securement class and test.

darthanubis and Puppage Thank this.
  7. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Test?!?

8. gillz107

gillz107 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2016
    New York
    Yeah, what test? The driving and parking again?

9. darthanubis

Jun 26, 2015
    Got informed here by a prime mate, and got moved to the region I've been waiting a year to get on, just like that. This is why I like Prime. Good people, easy breezy.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    You have to chew through a strap with your teeth.
    :yes2557: Emergency escape procedure if you get tangled up in one somehow.

I think your supposed to secure some props on a trailer, probably part of the class. I think my trainer handled it when I went through.

n3ss, FullMetalJacket and darthanubis Thank this.
  11. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant

Congrats on completing your first year! Thrilled to hear it!

You've done well, Grasshopper. You've got to be one of the most determined individuals I've had the priveledge to get to know. You have met every trial and tribulation head on, without ever looking back. And, we definately know you ran into some trying situations. (A bit understated! LOL). You've paid your dues & proven you got what it takes, and that will never change wherever you go, or whatever you decide to do in the future.

So glad to hear you got that gig you wanted. Hope it works out to be the best fit for your circumstances. Again, you've worked hard to get there & definately deserve it.

Now.......if we can just talk you into training, & maybe straighten you out on the "correct" political path...... we might just have something here! :laughing-guffaw::sign5:

I know....., I know..... Hell hasn't been forcast to freeze over any time soon! LOL

PEACE Brother,
    To you & yours

:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.