FJ-Pilot heated fuel

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Snailexpress, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Anybody can explain me why they have heated fuel in summer time?
    FJ I-25 Cheyenne WY
    Pilot I-70 Limon CO
    FJ I-45 Richie St., Houston
    As to me it's looks like corporate cheating.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    Wow, Pilot accused of fraud. That's never happened before. There was that little fuel rebate scam, but that was a few rouge executives not Pilot.

4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    What is "heated fuel"?

5. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I can only guess that it is fuel that is warmed. Not sure if selling less fuel due to expansion is enough to offset the cost of heating it though. If I'm thinking correctly on the subject. Not sure it expands at all. Could be another line of thinking all together. LOL

double yellow and truckon Thank this.
  6. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Guess the OP stuck a thermometer in the fuel?

7. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    No. I didn't stuck thermometer or anything. I lost my gloves and grabbed fuel gun with unprotected hand. It was hot about 120 - 140 degree. Fuel desk personnel was mumbling when I asked them about fuel temperature.
    I think answer is here.

The clearest answer I've heard to date is that the coefficient is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit. That is to say that for every degree rise in temperature your volume will go up that amount. The math works like this, say you have a temperature rise from 60 degrees f to 84 f over the course of a day and a tank with 100 gallons of diesel in it. Multiply the coefficient by the number of degrees temp rise (24 x 0.00046=0.01104) then multiply that answer by the total number of gallons you started with to get the number of gallons increase in the tank when the diesel warmed up to 84 degrees (0.01104 x 100=1.104 gal.)
    Remember the liquid itself has to rise in temperature and it may take a long time to do but this is a handy way to figure the amount of room to leave in a tank for expansion.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    ok, so it was warm. Why do you indicate 4 specific truck stops running this "fuel heating scam"?

These truck stop get at least 1 load a day if not 2-3 loads a day at the busier stops. It's summer, the fuel at the depot is pumped a mile through pipe in the sun, it's hot out, fuel gets cooked in an aluminum trailer in the sun all day as it's trucked, then get's dumped, then get's immediately pumped.

All, I'm saying is warm fuel in the summer time does not seem unreasonable without going to the expense of purposely "warming the fuel"

icsheeple Thanks this.
  9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

So you held all the handles with you bare hand and determined how warm they were within 10 degrees?

Sneakerfix, Balakov100 and icsheeple Thank this.
  10. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Maybe they have above ground tanks?

11. Snailexpress

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    He-he .
    Never seen FJ or Pilot with above ground tanks. Day time temperature in WY is 80-70 degree how fuel could be hot like coffee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.