FL Classic XL versus Peterbilt 379

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by tommymonza, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    One other thing to consider, if you're gonna be putting a truck on the road to haul with (not a restoration to make a show truck), is the age of the truck, yes there are some companies that will evaluate a truck based on condition, but there are others that won't take a truck older than xxxx model year. Especially if you follow through with a plan to invest $30-40k. Good to know this sooner than later.
    As far as what brand, it really depends more on specs than anything else, but as mentioned there are well known problems with certain makes and models. Last time I checked Pete and KW are still made by American owned company. FL is not, same for Western Star.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    If you only drove a beat down F-liner of course you wouldn't think much of it. Just like a slog on a Mule named Sal won't be as awesome as a jaunt on American Pharoah [sic].

You can't close the door on my FLD because it's too airtight. Crack the window and it latches shut easy. Maintenance over neglect. Door hinges and striker pins wear out but you can buy new ones.
    I still want a Pete though!

4. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    dirthaller I like a guy who will call a spade for a spade. It is a rare person who has had Petes and will tell the audience that Petes do have problems. It is sad to hear that the new Petes are so poorly made.

dirthaller Thanks this.
  5. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I think 90 percent of the bad reviews you hear about FL doors not closing are from drivers driving old worn out FLs that wouldn't know where or how to replace the Pins and adjust the Strikers.

6. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    Why are KW's so trouble free then? This is the only Pete I've owned with cab mounted mirrors and figured that would solve most of their (Peterbilt's) problems....coupled with the fact that it was brand new. I was wrong.

7. dirthaller

dirthaller Heavy Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Coloratah
    PS. It's been to the dealer twice to have doors readjusted .........less wind but still not tight like my 1,000,000 mile 93 KW

8. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Gotta love the thick, double sealed KW doors.

9. bigeazy12

bigeazy12 Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2013
    arkansas
    i like inside of pete cab better than classic fl are good trucks but i will always prefer petes blackberry pics 057.jpg

10. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    To put it in terms a guy who calls himself Tommymonza (OP) would understand, you want a ChrisCraft or a Magnum....

11. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Or bass buggy vs donzi lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.