Flappy Straps Question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Chewbongka, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Chewbongka

Chewbongka Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2015
    So I have a question for the vets on here regarding the preferred technique to stop straps from flapping in the wind while going down the road. This isn’t a problem when I have a load with a rounded edge because I can crank down on the straps hard enough to prevent any slack and flapping.

The flapping occurs when I have these wooden boxes about 5’x7’x7’ in dimension. The flapping only happens on the hook side so I have started putting one twist in the strap on that side to add a bit more tension. I figured the crank side doesn’t flap because it’s cranked down hard and the hook side is loose because it has to go over two 90-degree angles so the twist adds just enough tension to stop the flap.

There is no company policy on this; also, I cannot not add anything to the boxes to make the edges rounder. The twist eliminates the flapping in the wind so I figured I am doing the right thing but since I have never seen straps with a twist on them on a flatbed before I’m wondering if I am missing something. Is adding a twist to the straps kosher to eliminate flap or do I look like a dope with a sloppy strapping system?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I put a twist on both sides unless the load is very flat or the strap is at 90* to the trailer deck.

Chewbongka Thanks this.
  4. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    If i can put a half twist in a strap, and that twist does not come into contact with the load or trailler, i do it. No flapping, no slack, no problems.

Chewbongka Thanks this.
  5. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    You guys should teach the guys hauling intermodal containers on step decks. Sounds like a pack of Harley's flying by me every time I see one.

Chewbongka and catalinaflyer Thank this.
  6. catalinaflyer

catalinaflyer Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Half twist on each side and if it's wide-flat across the top a half twist there too. Right, wrong or indifferent that's the way I do it.

saddlesore and Chewbongka Thank this.
  7. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    But how else will you know they're annoying?

8. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    When they take the chrome off your bumper, then brake hard to make the next right into a industrial park with no signails. Are they broken, or he didnt bother using them? The world will never know.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.