flickering daytime running lights with parking brake on

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by skman, Aug 6, 2015.

1. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I have a 2008 Western Star. Just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with the daytime running lights flickering on and off when you're parked.
    Mine used to do it all the time but it wasn't a big deal as it was doing local daytime oilfield work. Then it stopped doing it and hadn't done it for a year.
    Now I'm long hauling and tonight in a nice dark truck stop....it decides to start flashing again. I've wiggled the light switch and the parking brake know but I cant get it to do it with anything I've tried.
    I was thinking I might just disconnect them but thought I ask if anyone in here had any experience with this gremlin....or any ideas.
    I love my truck but every Star I've driven had some kind of wiring problems.
    Thanks for any help

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Just curious. Why would you have your daytime running lights on while parked in a truck stop?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    In Canada, all vehicles are required to have 2 headlights lit when driving. They come on automatically when the park brake is released.

I used to work for a truck company in Alberta who ran Stars almost exclusively. That was a common issue. If I remembered correctly it was usually, but not always, the air pressure switch for the running light circuit. I would start with checking that first. It should be connected to an airline off the tractor park valve (yellow button).

Cetane+ and skman Thank this.
  5. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I don't want them on....that's the problem. Lol
    When the parking brake is applied....they are supposed to go out. But mine go off...then back on. Flickering intermittently.

6. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Now I know. My apologies for interrupting. I hope my question isn't the reason no one has answered or tried to answer your question.
    EDIT: Oops, just noticed NorthernMechanic has some advice.

7. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    No problem at all... RustyBolt. :)

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I have a 2013 that does this. If I push in and then pull out the tractor park brake then it seems to work after that. I found it is the first switch on my air line directly behind the tractor valve.

Part number... bendix 30 psi air switch 276599

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    skman and Cetane+ Thank this.
  9. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Yes, it is the air pressure switch. My 2013 does it and so do all the older ones of varying years. seems to be a Western Star thing, LOL.
    Changing the switch didn't solve it for me. So I either disconnect them or just leave the lights on all the time so it doesn't look like you are signaling someone.

Every Star I have been around has had this issue, and the little blue lighted switch for the air conditioning on the heater control unit burn out or actually melt.

skman Thanks this.
  10. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Yeah, my little blue switch light burned out and melted the plastic on the switch a little bit in the process. My bunk lights stopped working again too. Hopefully it's just the fuse. But last time they stopped working it was a shorted wire that had to be found and repaired by an electrical guy. Didn't take him nearly as long as it would have taken me. Lol

11. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    Did you just disconnect the wire at the switch? Or did you open the dash and do it like they show in the manual? I'm thinking I'll disconnect them completely as I run with my headlights on all the time anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.