Florida Hazmat /background check

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Redtwin, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Anyone done one recently and have an idea of the time frames and process involved?. I know I have to do the background check (and pass the written) in order to get the endorsement, but does one have to be done before the other?.

Basically, I have a 2 week window that I am trying to get as much done in as possible. Can I do the background check then take my written at the DMV before I get the TSA approval?. I know I won't get the actual endorsement before approval, but if I can get the ball rolling and have a test pass on the books pending approval then that would be preferable.

Also, checking on the DMV website, it seems they want proof of social security number, either card or W2s, neither of which I have so wondering if trying to do the test at all will be pointless before I can get a replacement SS card...all within that 2 week timeframe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    With the background check you get fingerprinted then they send that in and then they do the background check.But you need to pass the written test first.Do you have your birth certificate?That will work but if not then you'll need to wait till you get your ss card.Thats how its all done here in Iowa,I doubt theres much difference in Florida.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    granted my fingerprints are on file since my first career but just over a week of taking the test and going to TSA to get fingerprinted I got my letter in the mail. I would probably go to TSA first and get that process started since you have to wait on verification.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  5. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Don't know where my birth cert is, but I have a passport. Pretty sure neither of them have my SS# on them so they wouldn't help with proof for the DMV.

If I can get the written test out of the way and just have that pass on file pending the background check then I would be happy enough with that. Just not sure if the Florida DMV will want to see background check approval before they will even let you do the written test.

6. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Did you do the test or the background check first?. I fully intend to do the background check as soon as I can, but I only have 2 weeks in which to get the results and take the written test...assuming I can get a replacement SS card in that same time frame.

The whole proof of SS# number thing could cause my plans to come to a halt. Can't imagine why the DMV need proof of that for a driver's license especially when I have my current unexpired license and passport etc to prove I am who I say I am.

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I did my test first but already had a date scheduled to do my fingerprints.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    They just want proof you're a U.S. citizen.Call the dmv Monday and ask them or maybe its on their website.Here we have to show them our ss card or birth certificate before the process goes any further.

Redtwin Thanks this.
  9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The website does state that you need to show proof of SS# for license renewals or to get a new license. I will still cross my fingers that they will let me reinstate my CDL (it got auto downgraded due to lack of med card) and do the hazmat written without my SS card.

The expiration date on my downgraded license is not until next year so "technically" I am not renewing the license just reinstating the CDL portion. I am fully aware that they may not see it that way though.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    OK but if that's what the website says you'll be wasting your time,they won't bend the rules.When is your replacement SSCARD due to arrive would you say? Why only a 2 week window to get all this done?A carrier will work with you on this and wait longer if need be.

11. so useless

so useless Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    in fla. fingerprints and hazmat done at dmv u need birth certificate and sscard plus proof of residence. when I moved from mass. had to retake hazmat and fingerprint to transfer license over from mass to fla. with all endorsements about 200.00

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.