Flow Below

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dngrous_dime, Oct 22, 2016.

1. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I know @Misesian has them installed on his truck, and I know what the purported gains are. My question is about durability. How well would they still perform in winter, with all the snowpack being thrown up inside fenderwells??
    Also, would a tire blowout completely destroy them?
    Weighing the pros and cons to these, versus just regular full fenders.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Thru hold up just fine. I've had the Flow Below on my truck for 4 years and never had an issue.
    As far as a blowout, I would imagine it can do some damage. Question is, why would you have a blow out? If you check your tires regularly and monitor pressures and condition, it's not an issue.

If you're the type of person that want to invest in something to save money in the long run, I would hope you are invested in your tires, as that's the most expensive maintenance item you have.

I can honestly say that in 16 years if driving, I have never blown a drive tire.

4. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I've never blown one either, just don't want to risk turning a $700 oops into a $1700 ####!!! moment...
    I intend to run step deck, so that's also a concern, having to run through the less than ideal areas..

5. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I run reefer and have had 2 Flow Belows. I just bought a new truck so I put one on my new truck. There was nothing wrong with the other Flow Below, but I just couldn't put something used on a brand new truck.

They have always been good to me. I was actually the 1st truck in the country to get the polished wheel covers several years back. I had to wait to get them when I purchased it as they were still being manufactured.

dngrous_dime Thanks this.
  6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Saw the name of the thread and had to Google it. I thought someone finally invented something to eliminate the piss jug.

Lepton1, Terry270, fordconvert and 2 others Thank this.
  7. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    After reading your comment, I think I just did.

Cut a hole in the floorboard, insert a tube in the hole, and add a funnel on top. There you go.

Also, when you are being inspected and the officer is under your truck, remember to go relieve yourself.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    thejackal Thanks this.
  8. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    No complaints. I picked up 3/10 of a mile per gallon. Doesn't sound like much but it pays for itself in 14 months assuming 120k miles per year. I also installed the "flyswatter" mud flaps from Anderson Flaps. The mudflat brackets are very stout and spring loaded. If you do hit something it will pop out of place sometimes and I'll hit it with a hammer a couple times back in place. The flyswatters make a big difference with road spray. I really like them.

9. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    The truck I'm in now has the wheel covers, flyswatter flaps, and nearly all our trailers have wings and tails. Automatic Evolution, and bumping up against 70 quite regularly, I've been averaging 7.3mpg.
    Obviously an older truck won't perform AS well, but I'll also be more cognizant of fuel saving habits.

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    throw on a holding tank, a drain and on off flow valve, stop at rv dump stations, sone rest areas have the dump station.

good luck

11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    "Watch out for that yellow air conditioner water, officer."

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.