Fly Fishing in Montana?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ken Worth, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    Anyone ever pull their truck into one of those fishing resorts you see all over Montana? Do you know of any that can accommodate a big rig and welcome drivers? Or maybe there are other places that are easily accessible to drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I tried at pull outs on streams, creeks, river over a weekend, nothing but white fish.. I was disappointed, that's Montana ! It might be different for you.

Wyoming has trout.

Had a 2 day license to fish in Montana and a 24 hr in Wyoming

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  4. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    There is room to park in Wolf Creek between Helena and Great Falls and just a short walk back to the guide service. Craig is just north of there and I think you can park somewhere and walk to the river. Just north of Wolf Creek on Recreation Road there is a boat launch where you cross the Missouri on the left that is big enough for a truck.

Make sure you have your license though. They do not take kindly to poachers.... LOL Also you are down stream at that point of Holter Lake and dam and that means you can only keep 5 fish and only one over something like 18".

The Missouri north of Holter is known as blue ribbon trout fishing area.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Caught these two a couple of weeks ago....

[​IMG]

dca and Ken Worth Thank this.
  6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    Yeah, the water would be cold where you mention, I was surprised how warm the water was where I tried.

7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I wonder what the grizzly bear eat in Montana ? I'm dont think it's fish

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Roots, berries, carrion, tourists. Same as anywhere else. Not a big salmon or steelhead run up here so fish is not a big part of their diet.

dca Thanks this.
  9. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    Do you fly fish? I never have but I'm buying a fly rod and reel to take along......it'll give me a reason to get out of the truck and practice casting if nothing else. I'm thinking about a 6 weight would be right for a starter??

10. BeanDip

BeanDip Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2014
    S.W Michigan
    A graphite 5/6 rod is a good place to start for sure. Nice "all around" package. Especially since you probably won't get into all the minutia of hatch matching, overly worried about spooky fish and needing a 2 weight finesse rig, blah blah, fly fishermen get so anal w/ their equipment.

I occasionally use a 7 weight for large mouth bass fishing on the lake.

Also, a 5/6 weight rod is GREAT for small mouth bass on the many mid-west rivers/creeks/streams. Almost the same techniques for small mouth bass on rivers, as you use for nymph fishing for trout.

Ken Worth Thanks this.
  11. montanajellyman

montanajellyman Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Billings, MT
    LOL what do the bears eat??? why, slow fisherman of course...
    there is a real nice pull out 10 miles or so west of Missoula. It can only be reached from the EB side though. It right on the river. Also, on the WB side up by Superior there is an actual Exit/road that loops off and on to I90 just for fishing. Big enough for fishing/sleeping Don't remember the exit.

LGarrison and Ken Worth Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.