FM-837 CS4-97?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by camionneur, May 27, 2015.

1. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Sticker about tire pressure on a tractor door seems to be referring to something in writing there, anyone know where it's written (besides on the tire)?

"Min. Tire Pressure
    Steer axle 110 psi
    Drive axle 95 psi
    FM-837 CS4-97"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Maybe it said CSA-97, in a weird font, that would make more sense, or some sense. All it says in the "FM" book is in section 393, which doesn't specify a pressure, it just says not too low for whatever weight...

4. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    The thing is, most tires specify max pressure cold, I think, after all if that's minimum then what's the maximum?

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The sidewall pressure is always the maximum cold inflation pressure. I follow the tire manufacturer's recommend inflation pressure for the load being carried. In almost all cases that puts the steer tires near or at their maximum, but the drive tires may be significantly lower than their maximum... sometimes as low as 75-80 psi.

To keep things simple many carriers mandate standardized pressures across their fleets at or near maximum inflation pressures.

6. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Okay I'll just go by the sidewall if anything else is questionable (mechanics usually say something like within 5-10 psi), and I measured them gaining 5 psi warm.

Coincidentally, I saw a heavy load blow a tire yesterday, not sure which, I'd just dodged a car that pulled in front, so I'm in the left lane, the other truck is in the right with smoke and rubber flying out, and then that car pulls in front of me again and brakes, as if waiting to see if either of us will go ahead and hit it...

7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Those are most likely just part numbers for the sticker, or a reference to a company policy.

8. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    Yeah, I guess the numbers on my gauge are in writing, then again the one I got at a truck stop ended up reading 10psi low, and I wondered why I had such bad luck with tire pressure, until I compared it with a tank gauge...

9. camionneur

Oct 18, 2013
    So much for company policy though, I go to put air in a tire that's unquestionably below that, and they start asking me what I'm using, and why it takes time to use it. Blow me? Pardon the pun, at least.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.