Following too close

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Nagel Paper, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Nagel Paper

Nagel Paper Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2016
    What is the regulated distance in feet between 53' tractor / trailer and traffic?
    Can't find any written regulations under FMCSA or other sites.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I was taught one truck length for every 10mph of speed plus one extra if over 40 mph.

Of course, no one ever does that.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  4. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    If they are 5 feet off your bumper at anything over a half mile an hour. They are too close.
    Otherwise if you feel some one is too close to you. Just turn on your hazard lights for one blink. Usually a driver that is too close will back off when they see the brake lights come on (ie the hazard lights).

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    In Florida the law says 300ft. That said I'd believe it depends on the state.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Considering it takes what? 800 ft for a truck to reach a full stop from 65 mph...anything less than 2 football fields is to short. However good luck maintaining safe following distance when 99 out of a hundred vehicles come back over in front of you with less than 25 feet to spare.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I keep hearing that we should be at least 5 seconds behind, which is roughly equivalent.

The problem is that if you do that in traffic, you'll eventually end up in reverse. It's a good rule of thumb, but has limitations in the real world. But I do try to make sure that I have a healthy cushion as much as possible so 4-wheelers can cut in front of me without ever really cutting me off.

Blackshack46 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And therein lies the problem. :banghead:

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Yep. The best most stress free solution i have found is to slow down just a bit under the flow of traffic that way when they pull in front of me to close, the gap is increasing and not decreasing. And considering the vast majority ignores the speed limit this means in effect im still traveling at a good rate of speed.

Bumble Bee, tucker, JReding and 2 others Thank this.
  10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Same here. The mantra of being a stone in the river. Dont try and wear yourself out by going faster than the flow. Let the flow go around you and enjoy the ride.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It would all depend on speed. I don't think there is any "distance" specifications per se because safe distance would be regulated by speed, road conditions, weight, etc. Too many variables to come up with exact numbers, and besides, no cop is going to be able to measure the distance from afar. That said, occasionally you do hear about being ticketed for following too close, and when it's flagrant, it's easy to see but without a fool-proof system to measure and document, it's very hard to prosecute a following too close in court until and unless a rear-end crash occurs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.