For when a FEDERAL CDL???

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Paul Geanta, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Paul Geanta

Paul Geanta Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2015
    I am not sure how many truck drivers are in my situation but I guess there are a few.

When I moved to the USA I got my CDL in Indiana. Beautiful state, low taxes, but moving from Canada I had to go through all exams again. Of course I had to study, of course I had to learn what Indiana considers important for safety when driving a big truck.

Life mad it so that I divorced ( a while I did not really have an address since I was living in my truck), and after I met a wonderful girl that wants to live IN CHICAGO IL (40 miles from GARY, IN where I WAS LIVING BEFORE)

We moved together and I want to get my CDL from IL in order to be .... a normal person with one address. SURPRISE! I have to pass all my exams again!

As solution, I found a mail forwarding company in Indiana, and I keep one address there and one in Illinois, hoping at some point to buy a cheep property in Indiana and consider it my refuge or something!

But the real problem is that an interstate CDL should not be issued by a state!. Let's be honest, how many of us really need a "home"? We live in our trucks and we are home .... mostly a week per month! It is not only a pain for someone who has a nomad lifestyle to depend on a state to get his CDL!

I mean our work is already federally regulated! Why is an interstate CDL issued by a state?

Any other drivers who have the same question? OOIDA, what do you intent to do about this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I live in Illinois and have an Indiana CDL... I feel your pain... Illinois is ridiculous that they won't let you transfer out of state CDL without doing everything all over again from A to Z...

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    In the US we have what are known as "states rights", where our Federal government can not take certain "rights" away from individual states, driver licensing is one. Most states accept a transfer from one to another regarding your cdl, but Illinois does not, they make you start all over again. The only thing that does not transfer from state to state without a new test is haz-mat and sometimes school bus endorsement, again except IL who does not recognize any other cdl for transfer. As for needing a home, the way our state and Federal government works, you need to claim residency somewhere, it can be a rented property or mail box service, but for tax and identification purposes you need to be a resident of a specific state, not just a resident of the US. We will never have a Federal cdl, just like there is no Federal firearm permit, it boils down to the right of each state to regulate it's own citizens within the guidelines set by our Federal constitution.

5. Paul Geanta

Aug 6, 2015
    I understand. But what about homeless people?and what about those who have homes in more than one state?

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    If you have homes in more than one state you pick one to be your primary residence, this is the one you claim as you base for filing your state and Federal income taxes. It is supposed to be the one you spend more than 6 moths out of the year at, but you know as OTR drivers many don't spend that much time at home period. It can be to you advantage to claim residency in a state that does not have a state income tax, like Tennessee for example. This is the state you would get you cdl in, you license plate for you car, regular car insurance, etc. As for homeless people, they really can't obtain a cdl because under Federal law you need to show proof of residency in the state you are applying for a cdl or they can't issue it, as Federal law requires you to have only one driver license and it must be from the state you claim residency in. I suppose a homeless person could obtain a mail box service like you did and use that as their address, it may work in some areas. If I did not have a permanent residence I would just use a friend or relative's address, preferably in a state with the best personal and business tax advantage for myself.

7. Paul Geanta

Aug 6, 2015
    In fact it is ridiculous to be asked if you are driving intrastate or interstate and a state to issue you a interstate CDL. That makes it kind of federal. INTERSTATE CDL should be something federally regulated and valid only in the company of a state driver license!

Trust me there is a difference between getting a DL and a CDL. Just think about the vehicue I have to bring at the BMV in order to pass my exam!

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    in the scheme of things with 3 million trucks on the road daily
    there is just a small % of homeless drivers vagabounds of the asphalt

9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's right... the reason Illinois made it to where you could no longer transfer out of state CDL is because and EX governor here was taking payoffs for handing people CDLs.... I'm in the opposite side of the boat as you I live in Illinois but plan on moving to Northwest Indiana in the next couple of years because taxes in Cook "crook" county are ridiculous

10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    you designate one home as a primary residence, and not many homeless people have a car. it isn't complicated

11. Paul Geanta

Aug 6, 2015
    See... It is just BS! Have no idea about what governors take or give.... but me as an honest working person I WOULD LIKE CDL to be federally legislated!.... AND NOT TO HAVE TO PASS A NEW TEST EVERY TIME I CHANGE GIRL FRIEND!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.