ford 7.3

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by paulpost, Feb 2, 2016.

1. goin2fast10

goin2fast10 Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Where I want to be
    Okay.... it has some sort of delete kit on it. I thought he said egr....my bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Picked up my 96 4 years ago with 76k on it. South Carolina truck with zero rust. Paid $8200 for it

4. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If you're doing this commercially, you need to abide by what the DOT likes to see. Check the specs for your truck. Max GVWR is the total amount your truck is allowed to weigh by itself, including payload, fuel, your big butt etc. Max GCWR is the total amount your truck is allowed to weigh in combination with a trailer. Your curb weight of the truck plus the curb weight of the trailer gives your total gross. Subtract that from the published GCWR and you'll get the amount of payload you can put on the truck/trailer.

My F450 has a GVWR of 15,000. Curb weight with the flatbed on it is 9900, so I can carry 5100lbs on the truck alone. My published GCWR is 26,000 lbs. This number is published by the manufacturer. My trailer weighs 4700. So the truck/trailer combo weighs 14,600 lbs. Subtract that from the 26000 and that leaves me with a payload of 11,400 lbs. I use 11000 just to account for fuel, my fat butt, and my stuff.

I could remove the flatbed from the truck to lighten it up a bit and increase my payload (if I had the money to buy a bigger trailer).

The 7.3 is a great platform, but get familiar with its quirks. There's a fuel return line that wears a hole at a little bracket (passenger side) and there are commonly problems with the wiring that goes through the valve covers to feed the injectors. The fuel line is a cheap fix, the wiring can be $900 at a dealership but can be done in the driveway with patience and a couple tools. You also have to watch out for the oil pan rusting through. For some reason they were installed unfinished, and they will rust through from the outside. Expensive fix since the engine has to come out to do it.

5. paulpost

paulpost Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2015
    HI I found an 2000 F-450 with 260,000 miles what do I have to expect regarding necessary repairs at this amount of miles assuming it was properly taken care of
    Thank you

6. Derailed

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Is it an automatic and has it ever been replaced or rebuilt? Depending on where its from I would also look over the frame real good for heavily rusted areas

LGarrison Thanks this.
  7. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    This is a Florida truck so no concern about rust or body I'm concern about the engine and tranny

8. Derailed

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If he has a maintenance history with it than those motors run a good long while. Only real problem I had with mine when I first bought it was the original owner, an older guy who put a chip in it for towing his fifth wheel RV. Truck would be running down the road and shut off real quick and come back on. Sometimes it wouldn't fire back up or would spit and sputter. After a lot of chasing this and that and one ride on the back of a flatbed I finally yanked the chip out of the ecm as a shot in the dark and all was fine. There is a light coating of tinning on the prongs in the diagnostic port and if it is scraped off like the chip did problems will occur. Some say the injector harness can be problematic with them but never had any with mine nor have I known anyone with them. The transmission would be the weaker link in that truck if its an auto although they can be built up. If its a stick than you should be good. Being from Fl would be a huge plus

paulpost Thanks this.
  9. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    Thank you for your help if you don't mind how many miles your truck had when you bought it?

10. Derailed

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    On a somewhat related note, the 7.3 Powerstroke and the International Navistar T444E are the same animal.

truckon and Derailed Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.