Former Knight Driver

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Interstellar, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Interstellar

Interstellar Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Huntington, WV
    I went to CDL school at Knight in Indianapolis IN, Graduated and had an awesome time with trainers!

Well when I went to see my on the road trainer things got ugly, I was told I cant be in his truck unless I liked hearing him talk about eating (female sex organ) all the time, heck I just wanted to drive and get it over with and get in to my own truck and work, so I agreed.
    Big mistake, I was told I was going to be sucking his (male sex organ), I was hit, things thrown at me, shoved into a urinal while I was trying to urinate, he did not like the way my letters looked and would throw away my paperwork & make me start over and do my letters his way.
    I was told not to get out and look G.O.A.L. that this was his truck and his rules he would even get out before I would back and hold his hand on the door. Aside from being told I had to sleep during the day and only drive night and sleep on the top bunk with a harness. All this guy would do was play on his phone or laptop, no instructions as you would try and make small talk or a conversation starter the reply was always "I dont give a &^CK about that now shut up". Talk about sex all the time and be on the phone talking about it with women, then disappear for a few hrs every night. (Delt with this for 2 weeks)
    (Asked for and got a new trainer after waiting a while)
    Trainer #2 was well a ticking time bomb. Did not want to run locals, did not want to run east coast and would sit for 2-4 days calling dispatch, his friends, other companies, telling them he was going to "Drive through the effin terminal and kill everyone, grab the DM by her throat and drag her by the tractor till shes dead".
    I was warned not to make noise when I was asleep because he has a gun on the truck and quote "no one has been able to find it" and he will put a bullet in me. When I was driving it was all tense, drive as fast as you can all the time (He pulled the governor off and truck would run fast). I was constantly reminded how many times this guy has been in jail and to follow his instructions "Run over slow ### people, we have deliveries" (Would not allow space for SMITH system)
    I was driving 10hrs+ a day and only seeing 150miles come up on my driver portal, I realized when I went to fuel he would refuse to allow me to use my card. (I was unaware at this time that when on drive time 'DRIVER' must use his/her card) Turns out he was changing himself to driver as I was in the drive seat putting out the miles, then telling me to sleep 2 hrs because I have to be up in 2 to 3 hrs to drive from 2am to 10am. So for 2 weeks, this was my life.
    I called and spoke with Safety etc to get off the truck and to get a new trainer. When we finally got to a terminal, I was taken into safety and asked what was going on. I told them, they found the complaints to be true. Took the truck to get it governed again. and asked me to "Think of it as comradery, dont say anything else about this".
    Well I did say things on FaceBook about it in the Knight Forum and was promptly contacted by the Terminal Manager to remove myself and my posts or else I would not have a job.

In short...Because I felt the professional atmosphere I was taught in driver school does not apply to the 'Real World' and that this company is more interested in keeping violence and threats as part of their team opposed to a 43yr old man trying his hardest to make a new living, I elected to leave.

Looking for professional companies!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Unfortunately the trucking Industry has deteriorated into a job that will hire almost anyone to fill an empty truck. It's even harder to find an experienced driver who will put up with the aggravation and stress of being a trainer. My advice is to avoid the large mega companies, and any company that is constantly advertising how much they care about their drivers. Or any company offering a hire on bonus. To them your just another tool they use to make money with. Your a disposable asset that can easily be replaced.

4. Interstellar

Interstellar Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Huntington, WV
    Where would you suggest?

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state do you live in?
    Plenty of companies will hire you; just need to know the hiring area you live in.
    Ask more questions on the "Questions From New Drivers" thread.

6. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Crete/ Shaffer has a pretty good driver training program. I did not like their policies when I drove for them but I did think they had a decent training program.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Some of these "bad trainer" stories are almost like they must surely be fiction, can't be true. But good grief. If these are true and not over-dramatized it's scary. I do hope these are isolated, but even just a few [being like is described here] is disturbing to say the least.

I don't think better pay [for trainers and training] is the answer as that will only draw more of these psychos out of the woodwork, and into trainer positions. I think training new truck drivers is a "calling" that few are cut out to do, especially to do well.

There must be some sort of reporting/grading system that can QUICKLY get these poor and "dangerous" trainers out of the training gig, or out of the industry. Preferably the latter. But I understand, some trainees come in with unrealistic expectations of what the training period should be like and what to expect and as such might over-react to a relatively mild situation, putting the trainer unfairly in a bad light.

So, I'm not sure what the solution is but I think it's clear the situation is getting worse by the year. I don't want to be discouraging, but I guess it's good that incoming trainees have an idea what CAN happen and what to look out for, and to appreciate when they do get on with a sensible, well mannered and skilled trainer.

In the case of the OP story. I'd like to think I'd have said "nope, 'aint riding with you" right when the trainer started in with his ridiculous "demands" at the introduction. In a way, the sick trainer was trying to do the trainee a favor and alert him/her, but the trainee was to over-whelmed and stressed with the new part of life beginning (for better or for worse) to realize it

reefer75 Thanks this.
  8. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    ..patience is a big part of this career
    .... Putting on a thick will help you
    ... We deal with many personalities in this business

Interstellar Thanks this.
  9. wasted

wasted Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Florida
    you are a 43 yr old man and let them treat you in that manner? All i can say is wow.

joesmoothdog and flightwatch Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    One thing is for certain, and this can be taken to the bank.

Knight's terminal managers are NOT going to bark orders about what does or doesn't get posted on OUR site.

Some of what I've read in the OP rises well above the level of criminal. You're a truck driver, not a target, and "comraderie" or not I personally would have gotten the police involved. These two so-called "trainers" have no business doing anything of the kind, and for Knight to try and sweep this under the rug as he described is nothing short of detestable.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    To a point, that's true.

But assuming for the moment that the OP is telling the truth, NOBODY should be forced to tolerate what he described.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.