Former May Drivers Lounge...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Scooter Jones, Feb 5, 2013.

1. I am a new May driver, soloed out about three weeks ago. I was with my trainer for three weeks. He had a regular loop and was home every other night. We pretty much split the driving half and half. He got restless and bored easily, and I could tell that he didn't want to be sitting in the passenger seat. That was fine with me.

He told me he doesn't like to keep students longer than three weeks, especially if he thinks they're roadworthy by then. If they aren't, he'll keep them another week, but three is average. I was ready after two (I had previous driving experience but not enough for me to solo out sooner), so it was no big deal.

My previous experience was with Werner, whose training policy is just insane: 270-something hours, half of which is team driving where the trainer earns all the money while you're stuck on your student "salary," but this isn't a Werner-bashing forum, so I'll stop there.

I was happy with the trainer and the training I got at May. Overall, they seem to be a pretty good company, but I'm still new, so I'm keeping an open mind.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Did you ever consider Schneider at some point? Luckily they had the truck school I attended on their list as I hear they normally don't take newly graduated CDL holders.

4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I considered Schneider myself back in the day. However, when the recruiter told me I couldn't have an inverter on the truck, that was a deal breaker. He said because of "safety issues" they stopped allowing for inverters connected to the batteries. When you are an OTR driver, you need to have the ability to run a microwave, etc.

5. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    If your Trainer sucks, talk to Carol and get switched.

GranaRig831 Thanks this.
  6. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    Well I think I am going to go with Schneider. Does May allow inverters? I hear they don't allow Idling.

The only comforts I would need are being able to run my laptop and being able to use AC when needed. Possibly have a cooler as well.

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I will say this after having at least 18 trainees on my truck. It's not always just the trainers...

Some trainees were very difficult to deal with. I had some guys that got on my truck and acted like they knew everything and still couldn't shift or back even after 3 weeks on the truck!

Some guys had idiosyncrasies which were very difficult to deal with.

I had some guys that cried like little babies wanting to go home.

Guys I had to give money to because they didn't prepare.

Others that stunk bad.

One guy I had to have removed from the truck because he snored so badly I couldn't sleep and it became a safety issue.

I had Somalian Muslim that I could hardly understand within our first few hrs together demand that I "stop the truck immediately so he could PRAY!" That's right, he jumped out at the Flyng J and threw a mat down on the ground facing towards MECCA to pray. AND, he required he do that 5 times a time!

So, as you see, maybe a lot of that "big money" some trainers make is well deserved ;-)

8. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Of course they allow inverters. They install it for you and take out the cost from your weekly pay at like $25 a week. You take it with you when you leave. Heck I still have a nice one from May over 4 years that I just had installed on my truck which I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Don't fret over the idling thing. If it's hot, just idle, keep track and send in a note to your DM. They will take care of it. I never paid for idling there.

Lightside Thanks this.
  9. seamallowance

seamallowance Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I believe that the inverter policy changed recently, that they're installed in the trucks at no charge. But even if they're not, they make it real easy on the Drivers to make it happen.

As far as the idle time goes, I would simply send in a note on the Qualcomm to my DM stating (a.) where I was (b.) how many hours that I needed to idle, and (c.) the ambient temperature.

This shouldn't be necessary, but there are so many knuckleheads that will idle their trucks (and waste fuel) all night long when it's only 75 degrees.

10. All May trucks have inverters in them now, and they don't charge you for them. As for idle time, it's been expanded greatly for the summer months, up to 45%. I'm stuck in Iowa right now waiting to deliver, and it's 90ºF, 65% humidity, with a heat advisory, so I'm idling whether they like it or not. I'm from California, so the 90º part doesn't bother me as much as the humidity. Everything is wet. It's just gross.

11. Lightside

Jul 4, 2015
    That's when I would use a battery powered fan. At night at that temperature. I would only need AC if it was very stuffy, humid or during a thunderstorm. I have slight asthma being the reason why.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.