frac companies that hire felons??

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by rik1664006, Jul 7, 2013.

1. willardskillard

willardskillard Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2013
    Taos, New Mexico
    I would just haul salt water for some of these oil companies. You don't need Hazmat/ it pays as much as any OTR driver makesif not more. And your home every night lol, I mean wtf? First few years over road and you'll be lucky as hell if you break 40 grand a year. You make more than that starting out hauling saltwater. My friends are making 12 /and $1300 a week and right here at home and home every night. Off on weekends/ and don't even have to fight city traffic. And can have all the overtime they want at time and a half. Right here in Oklahoma. I just went to California and bought my own truck and brought it back lol. 2000 freightliner with 48,000 miles under $5 grand. They are giving them away almost. I figure Ill pull campers with it if nothing else. I don't want to ## with hauling freight through hell hole city traffic anyway. Hauling freaking #### water pays more and they take felons. I have a felony also. I have about 7, I have 3to DUI's All more than 12 years old. Weapons charges 2 of those, weed more than 5 pounds

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. willardskillard

Aug 3, 2013
    Taos, New Mexico
    Tamper with IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS OF ILLEGAL WEAPONS. 1 OF THOSE. 1 count of Illegal weapons/ Meth with Intent to distribute. (They called it) ######## it was all going up my nose. Couldn't find enough to do let alone sale. Then I got one more DUI Oklahoma in 2001.. Now can I get a job? HELL YES! I CAN. Don't let people BS YOU. THERE are jobs out there you can have and they pay more than $50.000 a year and you can be home every dam night. Why did I tell you all this? Because I am a honest person. I did my time. There a lot of people who have done the same things and didn't get caught. They are no better than I am. Guess what? With a little hard work and determination and saving my money/ here I am all caught up with them. Lol/ Keep your chin up Buddy. Don't ever give up on your dreams. Never. Sorry for Mis spellings om on a phone. Im in a Ice storm and computer is down. Later Brothers.

4. sexystuff911

sexystuff911 Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    The only difference buying your own truck is going to make is how quickly you file for bankruptcy and lose all hope for the future. I've never been an owner//operator (and I don't want to be), but I've known many who haven't been able to get loads because their DOT number is "too new" for the broker's insurance to risk. Add a person with no trucking experience, no contacts with brokers, two recent felonies, and a huge truck and insurance payment every month, and that person is doomed!

The Op didn't say what his felonies are for or where he lives. Felonies in which a person has only served jail time can be expunged after a certain period IF the petitioner meets all of their state's requirements. Felonies in which a person serves prison time will remain on their record forever. However, after 10 years a person who has served prison time can petition for a Certificate of Rehabilitation and Pardon. The only difference between a certificate of Rehabilitation and a Pardon is that a Pardon restores your gun rights. If a Certificate of Rehabilitation or Pardon is granted, that person still has to answer "yes" to question about whether they were ever convicted of a felony. They "were" convicted, but a Pardon was granted.

That said, there are companies that will hire felons right out of prison and with no experience. The company i worked for in California hired inexperienced felons all the time. Almost everybody on my crew was a felon. Evem the vice president of the company was a convicted murderer. The problem is that the companies that do hire felons don't pay living wages because they know their felon employees have no choice.

I suggest the OP try agricultural or aggregate trucking. Or, go to the oil fields and try to get hired on as a roustabout or laborer, and then work up to trucking. He should apply in person. And, do himself a favor and get OSHA/H2S certified first. If he invests in himself, companies will know he's serious about working and it will alleviate some of their risk. If either crime was sex related, forget it!

5. sexystuff911

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    Records are never "sealed". An expunged conviction is still visible to anybody (including the general public) who wants to see it. All they need is your name and the name of the counties where you have lived. In many court houses, they don't even need to see the clerk. They can walk right in, jump on a public court computer, and do a quick record search. If they find a conviction, they can ask the clerk for the file and make copies. If the case was expunged, the charges will still show but be referenced as "dismissed".

6. rizob

rizob Light Load Member

May 16, 2010
    Mantua, NJ
    Sexystuff911, you are wrong about expungements. It all depends on which state you live in. I live in NJ and just got a 20 year old felony and another 2 year old smaller charge expunged. Neither show up on any computer system that can be accessed by the public. I have checked them all and everything is completely gone.

The courts can still see it but it is erased from public files. I still need to check to see if it shows up on a fingerprint file. I checked that once and it was still coming up. But they told me I Checked too soon and it's supposed to come off that file too.

So in NJ you are legally allowed to say you never had a felony if it's been expunged. Because the public can't get access to it anymore. But if they are doing a fingerprint check, which I don't think any trucking company does, they may see it.

I will report my results on my fingerprint check too after I get it done.

7. willardskillard

Aug 3, 2013
    Taos, New Mexico
    I sure think something needs to be done for those who haven't hardly ever done anything wrong. They shouldn't be lumped together with extreme or Violent offenders simply because they didn't pay their child support on time. That's just crazy. I already have my own Truck and its paid for. I have noticed a few Companies are relaxing a bit on this subject, simply because of the demand for drivers. I wanted my Cdl mostly to pull campers/ plus I wanted the accomplishment of paying my way through school and Getting Licensed. And being able to drive a semi when and where I pleased. The guys I know in Oklahoma make very good money hauling salt water for some odd reason, It pays them as much as the Hazmat drivers make and they are home every night. With the option of all the over time they want and Tie and a half over 40 hours. I would recommend this to the Newbies with felons because #1 it pays better than you will make in the first 5 years over the road maybe longer.#2 You don't have to deal with City traffic.#3 It gives some experience and shows you been driving safely somewhere. And you may even discover with talking to a lot of Drivers that OTR was never right for you in the first place. My first experience in a Truck alone was the one I bought straight out of Driving school lol, Paid cash for it. Rode a Amtrak out to LA Cali/ and drove home. Talk about Submersion/ I had completed the school and gotten CDL and then hadn't seen a truck in months when I hopped in it. Los Angeles /And Bakersfield was a Helish experience for me. I was Nervous as a cat. But by the time I reached Arizona I pretty well knew the Tranny and all. Albuquerque was exciting to say the least. I wouldn't take anything for that experience. Never give up on your dreams folks. And remember that the Highest paying job isn't #1/ Money Management comes in first place every time. Plenty of folks out there with big fancy trucks that are floundering to make ends meet. I had good luck with progressive Ins/ Im paying $450.00 a year for Liability with uninsured motorist, roadside assistance , And some Bodily harm insurance on me and a passenger, I thought that was incredible for a Big truck like that, Who Knew? There's always a way if you want it bad enough.

8. rockyroad74

rockyroad74 Heavy Load Member

Notice there are more and more citizens with felonies today. What are we going to do? Have hundreds of thousands of ex-felons totally unhirable?

There are so called felons that I know, and I trust them more than I trust many of our leaders and other high ranked influential "pillars" of our communities.

What the general public needs to understand is due to the extremely tough revisions in crime classifications and sentencing guidlines inacted during the "get tough on crime" movement, this created a drag net affect that sweep up a lot of "not so bads" and labeled them right along with the "really bads" just the same. You've got to get past the label, "FELON" and look at the specifics.

How many people realize a felon could just be a woman who had a cheating boyfriend who hurt her? So, she gets drunk and slashes all 4 tires on his big jacked up truck and cuts his leather seats up. Hey, isn't that a country song? I bet the people who love that song don't know it is celebrating a felony act!

9. sexystuff911

Feb 26, 2013
    N. California
    rizbob,

I stand corrected! Whether or not expungements are visible to the public does depend on the state in which you live. To some degree, it may also depend on the type of felony as well. For example, in California expunged marijuanna crimes are never visible to the public. It may be a far different case in states where "pot" is still considered a "crime" like Texas.

My understanding about the "fingerprint" files (Department of Justice and FBI records) is that all charges (regardless whether or not you were prosecuted and convicted) and convictions stay for life. However, access to fingerprint files is extremely restricted. I don't believe the court or police can access them without good reason. The public has no access, and neither do employers unless you are applying for a government or very high security job. Employers "get around" this by requiring certifications such as HAZMAT. The background check eveals whether you have something in your background, but denial of the HAZMAT does not divulge what it is to the employer...

10. jmingo

jmingo Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Aurora IL
    A felony is not a death warrent in the trucking industry I know at least `al20 in the chicagoland area who are very successful.I am relentless and willing to put in work.

11. jjsiegal

jjsiegal Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ft.Laud
    You can't help but admire this guy's Hutzpa.

I feel for you Sean....!

I'm no angel and by rights have done A LOT OF CRAZY #### when i was a young man. I grew up in Miami (not by choice) but i can tell you, i've seen some bad #### done in the Majic City.

I've met a couple of guys from my Men's group meeting at church who are convicted felons. A lot these felony charges are BS and only end up costing tax payers MORE MONEY because of recitism. I think i'll start a thread on this subject...as it pisses me off too (even though i have no felony convictions). Its just plain WRONG what the Legal system does to people life's in this country.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.