Freight bills from 1978

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Old Man, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Everyone says how good it used to be, judge for yourself, these are loads I hauled in 77-78 I was leased to these carriers at 70% and 68% pulling company trailers. These were under regulation and one bill has interline info on it. HJJ was a top company to work for and some of the best paying freight, I stayed there for 7 years until the sold out to a company that cut us to 62%(they are still in business today)

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Anyone who has been around that long has earned my respect.

4. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    That is excellent information. If my numbers are correct you were averaging to you about .648 cpm. It took me a little while to realize how they were bidding the lanes. Once I figured out they were bidding by the weight, which is what I have been saying for a long time now. It make more sense to me then the way they want to do it now. I get paid more to haul the light stuff than the heavy. I heard this as a kid growing up from others that they paid by the tonnage, much like they do in the bulk world. Drivers would not listen to me. Here is the proof, you are the first guy that has ever been able to show me actual numbers from that era. You don't realize how much I appreciate you posting this, it now makes me feel 100% better on how I currently bid freight.

By the way I have heard the BS how they were making $2 - $4 per mile back then as well.

There were to many guys that told me the truth, your numbers match up with the notebook that I have from all the old timers that could still remember. I remember the loads only paying around $1.25 - $1.50 tops in the 80's when I was with my dad.

My cousin was hauling logs in the late 80's and 90's for $1 - $1.25 per mile on top of the price for the logs that he and his dad cut.

I was paying MS Carriers in 1996 $1.65 per mile plus FSC round trip Memphis, Tn to Huntsville, Al and back. That cost me $752.00 for their dedicated service back then. I never complained just marked up the invoice by another 15% and charged it out to my customers.

The only things that made the prices better back then, was the price of everything else was relative and a man could still make a good living being a trucker. Today things are way our of wack, but they are that way for the rest of working America as well.

Thank you so much for posting these BOL's

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Note: this bill must be paid in 7 days per ICC rules

I'd say compared to what goes on these days that part qualifies as "the good ol days"

6. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Thanks for posting these. It is interesting.
    Was just looking elsewhere. Diesel went from $.46 per gallon to $.75 per gallon in 1978? Not sure if that is accurate or not as could not verify the link? It was a long pdf.

7. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    Back then nearly all trucking companies were operating under Common Carrier authority that was very difficult get and they had to file tariffs with the ICC. Tariffs were generally based on weight. About the only companies that still operate this way are the LTL carriers and Van Lines.

Since deregulation most new carriers have contract carrier authority because it is much easier to qualify for. Most of the new carriers are "truckload" carriers that submit mileage based "truckload" rates.

8. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH

You may want to research that a bit more. There is virtually no difference today, in terms of cost to aquire or "qualify" for.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  9. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cat freight paid 1.35 for a 30,000 lb mini and 1.60 for a 40,000 mini. We would load a d6(on a flatbed with ROPS cab removed) that weighed 34,000 or so and paid a 40 mini, then fill out with engines that paid ctw, loads were stored on our yard in Morton ,IL which had a scale so we would max out at 73,280. Going to Alberta many would load to 80,000 and sneak into Iowa where 80k was legal, except one night when several got caught and it cost 5,000 to get out of jail, then 2 days shuttling freight to get legal.
    I know several that would load 2 30 minis to Edmonton and never got caught, one load for the trip up and one for the trip back.
    I remember a D 8 paid 10k from Peoria to Edmonton plus permits, I don't remember the weight but you could haul them on a 3 axle lowboy and a 3 axle tractor.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  10. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That would kill the Factor business today.

IH Truck Guy Thanks this.
  11. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Imagine twenty years in the future how effed up it is to look back to 2015 as "the good Ole days".

rachi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.