Freightliner cascadia stock cb set up.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by melsno, Aug 28, 2016.

1. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Is it possable to use the side antenna mounts and run new cables and replace the existing antenna? Also maybe grounding the cb somewhere Saw some guy on youtube do it. Didnt like the way most people are setting theirs with the wires running a long side of the truck. The video in question

P.s not sure how much this horse been beat to death already so excuse my post if it has been posted.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016

4. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    find a cb shop shop that can do exactly that called a factory install... talk to them and work out exactly what you want done......

5. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    I think you answered your own question ??? and figured it out yourself. judging by watching some of your video.

6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Looks like a good job to me! Thanks for the video!

melsno Thanks this.
  7. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Didnt see the end results haha guess i did. The only thing i dont know is if he grounded the radio but i guess i will find that out.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. bored silly

Jul 1, 2016
    not many people have to ground their radio. I do because I run a 350watt radio that drives a straight 8 linear !!!

9. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Ended up doing it and what a time trying to get that wire back in the cab i used one of those 18' k40 with the removable ends. Also used a coat hanger taped the wire and threaded it in. At first i couldnt see it from the other end so yad to use my phone camera to video it since it was hard to find. After all that bad reading swr all the way to the red worst then before. I still need to install the antenna waiting on shipping. As well i will change the ends of the cable since i kind of lost the tip and had to pretty much ghetto tape it yup. Probably the reason i am getting a bad reading.

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The truck itself is your whole problem.
    It's a bad design not conducive to a counterpoise. I'm sure if I took your stock antenna from your truck and put it on my truck it would work just fine so it's not the antenna.
    How you attach the antenna to the truck determine how it works. Where you mount the antenna on the truck also determines how it works.

delta5 and handlebar Thank this.
  11. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

Our shop has been putting a completely separate mount on either the driver's door mirror or a grab rail on the sleeper's rear. On a few, we've been using an "Outbacker" mount to get the mount point closer to the left side of the vehicle. In either case, we've been having great luck by putting together a vertical dipole. There are a couple of handy rubber-ish hole plugs at the bottom-rear of the sleeper, and we typically use an FME fitting on the end of the coax so it can fit through a 1/2" hole (with a grommet). We're using US-made RG-8X for everything up through UHF (if under about 30 feet), but RG-58 is fine for most folks, too.
    Most of our customers really don't want to pay us for the time to route coax to the existing side mounts and make the run inside the truck. An advantage of the FME connector set is that a driver can use some down time if he wants to re-route the coax without any fancy tools.

We've also had good luck with a front mount at the edge of the Fibreglas® roof and self-stick copper foil radiating from it on the top, but aesthetically it takes bit more time to get the tape to look like the surrounding gel coat, or to somehow look nice. It starts out shiny, but quickly weathers unless it's protected with some sort of coating.

The vertical dipole is much faster, give a more symmetrical pattern, and looks more "normal" than the spiderweb copper counterpoise.

HTH

slim6596 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.