freightliner electrial issue

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by speedi235, Nov 21, 2015.

1. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If you can find someone that has a power probe with the signal generator it would speed things up

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedi235

speedi235 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Yes I found it was a wire going to the reading lamp in the top corner of the bunk area for the upper bunk the wire that runs in the wall down the corner post shorted out thank you

mgrantes and Skate-Board Thank this.
  4. mgrantes

mgrantes Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Just curious Speedi235, how exactly did you go about finding the short? I like knowing how people go about solving their electrical issues, since well...."electrical issues" lolol. The greater a person's informational arsenal the better. :D

5. speedi235

speedi235 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2015
    well honestly my driver kinda found it when she turned on the reading light in the sleeper it blew the 10amp fuse I put in as a bridge between the iso circuit and the battery circuit so when she got in I put another fuse in and starting turning things on and sure enough the reading lamp in the top bunk was tied into the bottom bunk and when I turned on the top bunk light the fuse blew again so off into the corner of the sleeper we went and sure enough the wire going down the interior of the was was the culprit after we fixed it the gauge on the dash came up to 13.7 volts but I know this truck will show 14volts on the dash so I started pulling and tugging on all the battery terminals and on all the starter cables and found a couple of questionable connections so I fixed what I felt would require a wrecker if it broke down and order the rest of the parts and fingers crossed it will be back at 14 volts by next week

mgrantes Thanks this.
  6. Freightliner_Man

Freightliner_Man Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2015
    The LVD has 2 large wires on it. One is voltage in, the other is voltage going to the ISO post of the main PDM Remove both large wires and checked voltage. If it is 12v make sure it is hooked up to the "IN" post of the LVD. If it is 8.2v then you have a voltage supply problem to the LVD and need to check firewall connections, starter, and battery connections.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  7. jake46975

jake46975 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2017
    My lvd on my 01 classic caught fire last night. Haven't had any problems leading up to this. Any ideas?

8. Mcast3092

Mcast3092 Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2018
    Is this LVD module needed? Mine went bad and i don’t know if I should replace it or leave the wires connected?

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Just leave it. I wouldn't tell you that if I hadn't done it 100 times......

062 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.