Freightliner of San Antonio complaint.

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Cascadia, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Truck was brought in Tuesday July 26th, 2016 to San Antonio, TX Freightliner.

Service writer Geremy was very courteous and told me he could start a repair order but they wouldn't be able to check truck until next day as it was around 7pm.

Coming from Houston truck lost power and check eng light popped, I pulled over to the shoulder and shut off engine, checked under the hood and everything seemed normal, started back on and it ran fine but CK ENG LIGHT remained lit, so I headed to Doggett dealership.

We are talking about a 2008 Cascadia that allows you to read trouble codes,.."ENG SA00 SPN000641 TURBO ACTUATOR" was the one I thought could be the one that caused the power loss and a huge blow of smoke.

Wednesday morning technician "A" started the diagnostic process and after he was done he verbally told me there was some other codes along with the turbo actuator that had to be taken care of before they could continue with further diagnosis, I told him I had a battery flash code for over a year and after doing a research I found it was nothing to be worry about or that would cause any issues.. as an ASE certified auto technician myself I know that some codes may cause other codes related to a part of the system... so he said the service estimate for this repair would be $3668.86 to replace the MCM and Injector harness (the last one not in stock at the moment) so freight had to be paid to get it there next morning...

I asked if they could diagnose the turbo actuator instead of replacing the other expensive parts but he said there was not communication with the turbo actuator from the MCM, that oil was found in the harness and MCM.

I said OK to proceed with repair, that same day I went to the parts department to check price and availability of Electric turbo actuator, cost was $449.00 and they only had one in stock so I asked if it could be put on will call, the parts guy added it to my service order.

Friday morning truck was brought back to shop and Technician "B" replaces MCM and Injector harness, repair was done and truck was parked by 4pm, I walked to truck to verify repairs and noticed Ck eng light came back on showing same Turbo actuator codes it had before, and right away I notified Technician. Truck back to the shop and this time tech "B" diagnoses the turbo actuator by what it's called a functional test where you can isolate and test motors, valves, components, etc. and indeed there was no communication between turbo actuator and MCM, he then traces wiring from Turbo actuator and found that they were burned, so he tells me he's going to check if they have it in stock, to what I responded, it's been on my work order since couple of days ago, he proceeded then to replace part and truck was fixed,

I was billed $4131.16!!! then I asked to speak to the service manager to get an answer of why couldn't they done what Technician "B" did in the first place instead of wasting my time and money on unnecessary parts and labor, I'm hoping to hear from them on Monday.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    There's a reason why they're called Stealerships.

They love to steal your money.

Unless you have a Factory Warranty still, a Stealership is the last place you should take your truck to be repaired.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  4. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    You could have bought it and replaced it yourself

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    At first I was thinking the old fashioned clamp problem that broke the seals on the incoming cold air that feeds turbo charger the way the older trucks sometime did pour out half the inky brown fuel and extreme loss of power blackening the sky for half a mile behind you.

Now it's a electronic war. And seems to be a expensive one.

Warrantry? I hope you had it. I won't comment anymore because frankly it's really extreme to me when some wires go out and half the truck goes kaput on computer stuff.

6. bedrock2150

bedrock2150 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2014
    Texas
    Never ever go to a freightliner if you don't have a warranty. They will rape you.

7. 38short

38short Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2007
    Katy Tx
    I have a 2007 Century that broke down in Junction TX.Had it towed to the San Antonio Freightliner on I-10. The truck would not start on its own but could start with either. It would run and then die off.. They said I needed a new ecm computer.Told them to replace computer. Day or two later get a call from service writer say they install the new ecm the truck runs and start on its own. One slight problem the fan came off and busted the radiator. Took there word for it told them I needed the truck when can I come and get it. Called a few days later the truck is ready. Went to test drive it the truck had no power and would not go over 50 miles an hour. Drove back to Houston. Few days later service writer calls and says you need a new turbo and your egr valve is stuck. Told them I would come and get the truck and have my mechanic look at it. Brought the truck back to Houston mechanic looks at it wire going to the V-pod is off puts it back on truck runs like a top. San Antonio Freightliner Doggett Industries full of------------.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.