Freightliner vs. Kenworth

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by pippinna, Sep 28, 2011.

1. andy

andy Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2010
    MT
    I drive KWT800s where I work and I LOVE 'em. 'Tis a really classy truck and the new interiors (07 and newer) or just awesome!! Would take a K-Dub any day of the week over a $#1tliner but I will say I saw a brand spanking new cascadia today and must admit... it looked pretty good. Things could be changing @freightliner.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. captw900

captw900 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2011
    buffalo,Ny
    Look at the door hinge on a w9 vs the airodinamic cabs. You'll get much better fuel milage but the ride is worth it to me. We looked at 20 or so "plastic" trucks. All no good the w9 body has proven its self for 30 years. If you can't make it with a $1600 payment/month than stay company. 20,000 miles a month I want to be comfortable . If its about the money go get a $5,000 coe and make a million then go buy a new kidney

4. GOV'T_Trucker

GOV'T_Trucker Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2011
    I drive Freightliners at work and they are not to bad.... For a fleet truck.... Our trucks are in pretty decent shape except the trucks thats get passed around more then a $2 hooker... We do very little KM on our trucks being local city drivers so by the time we retire the trucks (they keep them around until they are about 4-5 years old) we only have like 350,000km (217,000miles) on them (and that is a high number too).. So they kind of are still in decent shape... They are cheap because they are a fleet truck....

We just started getting the Coronado with the DD15 in them... I haven't received one yet so I am still in my FLD-120... From the looks of them they look pretty decent although I think the cheesy plastic chrome air cleaners need to be gone.... They have lots of room inside which is nice, 4 wheel disc brakes and now jake brakes (our FLD's do not have jakes on them go figure since we haul 130,000lbs)...

So basically I have to drive what my company gives me.... I think I'd rather have a Volvo fleet truck over the Freightshaker but again I drive what I am given... I don't care personally what I drive in the end.. Cause I don't get paid to drive a Pete, KW, FL, Int, Vovlo etc.... I get paid to drive what I am given and to deliver my loads.. Sure I might not have a chromed out nice looking truck or a top of the line truck but in the end I am getting paid very good money where I am at... I'll take more money in my bank then less money in my bank driving a chromed out Pete...

Now if I was a O/O I would love to get a well built truck.. Not just a "cloned" truck one size fits all kind of thing.... I would want something I can get lots of years out of and not have to worry about replacing it every 4-5 years......

If I was buying for a big fleet I would go with the more cost effective way.. If I was a O/O I would go more for the comfort, looks and power (while still not spending too much where I would be broke just owning the thing)

5. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    gotta go with the KW, i have drivin all three of what your are looking at i now own a Pete and use to own a KW,

they dont call them freight shakers for nothing..

over all you live in the truck make it a good comfortable one and the Pete and KW are way more quiet inside

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I have owned several brands of trucks. When I drive it is usually in a KW, but I prefer International. I have owned Peterbilt and also owned a Ford. If you take away the skin, most trucks are pretty much the same. I have written this before, but here goes again. When I bought the International I was looking for another Peterbilt. I saved thousands of dollars by going with International and it has been the best truck that I have ever owned. I came close to buying 3 Freightliners a couple of years ago. I have driven them before but never owned one. Freightliners are comfortable, but have low resale value. If you watch what you buy you can get a lot of truck for a little money. I have a friend who has driven one for years and you could not give him anything else. You don't need to buy a KW or Peterbilt to have a good truck that will give you years of reliable service and make you money. Remember, the object of owning a truck is to make the most money you can. I like Peterbilt and KW, but especially starting out, you can get into something else for much less money.

Rather than concentrating on any particular brand, I would suggest that you think about what you really want in a truck. Consider the type of freight you will pull. Try to keep an open mind about the brand of truck. You may very well come back to KW. The T600 is a good truck. I have one that gets around 7 mpg. Look at the sleeper in different trucks. Spend time in the seats. As you look at different trucks make a list or mental note of what you liked and didn't like about each one. What do think you absolutely need in your truck and what can you live without. You will never have everything you want in a truck. Find those things that best meet your needs and then try to find a truck that will match.

I have a couple of friends who think there is nothing like a Peterbilt. They would both prefer to pay more for fuel and drive a Pete than most anything else. Most Pete's (379) and KW's (W9) will not get the fuel mileage as some of the more aerodynamic trucks. You will also spend more to purchase one of them. I have found that the maintenance costs to be about the same for any of them. Some parts are proprietary and those will usually cost a little more, but each brand has those type of parts.

To me it is much more important that a truck has been well maintained than the brand name.

7. dieseldon

dieseldon Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I like the KW better. But get what you can aford driver. Don't put yourself in the poor house to keep up with the crowd.

Good Luck Keep Safe

8. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Best 2 trucks I ever had was International and Freightliner. Worst truck ever bought was a Kenworth. Just goes to show it differs from truck to truck, can't really paint a broad picture with just a small sampling.

JReding Thanks this.
  9. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I know a guy who bought a Peterbilt that was a lemon. One thing that I have found is that those who drive Paccar and get a lemon won't usually talk about it. :biggrin_25521:

Over all, Paccar does make a good product. I don't know that they are really any better or worse than anything else on the road.

sdaniel Thanks this.
  10. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    LOL. I will talk about it!

I mentioned it another forum a few minutes ago, but the absolute worst truck I ever had was a Kenworth. A total piece of garbage from the start, and it was BRAND NEW.

11. madjeeper13

madjeeper13 Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    I've never seen a Freightliner Log truck in 39 yrs livin in the Pacific NW. I don't think I've seen anything but KW's and Pete's and a few old cornbinders.(IH to you young'uns)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.