Frey Miller- A Review

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Locke, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Locke

Locke Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2015
    The short of it, Frey Miller is an average, decent company. They aren't great, they aren't the worst. Like all companies they are there to make money, often times at your loss. Cover Your @Behind$$

Frey Miller
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Peterbilt Trucks
    KW for trainers
    2012-2017 trucks.
    8 Speed Transmission, governed at 64 (not 65). The gears are governed (progressive shifting)
    APU on Truck-Worked great.
    Quallcom is very old.
    Refrigerated loads- will be picked up and delivered at all manner of day, morning, noon, night.
    National Beef, Cargill, bar-s, Produce loads out of Louisiana Ports, Gloucester New Jersey or Salinas California
    Those are the big ones I remember.

-Mileage varies. Sometimes they preplan and sometimes they don't.
    -Trucks are available for wash every 6 weeks.
    -Reimbursed/Comcheck for oil, windshield wiper fluid, load locks
    -Fueling can be done at any of the big Truck Stops, Loves is 'strongly' preferred.
    -Lumpers are all paid for. Employees are not allowed to lump their own loads.
    -They run North East. They lie to you and say they don't. And then 2nd day of orientation they tell you they do, with a big grin.
    -Orientation was paid, don't remember how much.
    -The hotel was nice.
    -Training is 6-8 weeks if you are a new driver.

-Driver Managers don't assign loads, load planners do.
    -You will know your driver manager, you won't know your load planner.

-The DM's are overworked and at times incompetent.
    Example-each DM having 20-30 drivers and covering two boards everyday.
    Being told to submit everything via Qualcomm but the DM not reading the full messages that were painstakingly typed out.

-Many employees wore many hats. Example, The safety director was the person who took care of most of my hiring paperwork, he handled my school reimbursement (which I never received) and he was also the qualcomm person.
    Multiple occasions I called the Safety Director/Quallcom about issues I had with the Qualcomm and he was too busy or couldn't explain to me what I needed to do. I was told that when I was at the yard he could fix it then in person. When I was at the yard, he was too busy to do anything about it then either. What a shocker.

-No one at the company is on your side. Disagreement with payroll? Good luck, They will refuse to talk to you.

Your driver manager tells you its ok to take a certain route and you incur tolls, good luck, it's on you.
    The fleet manager reminds me of a used car salesman, with a smile he will say "Let's split the difference."

The training is all dependent on who you get as a trainer.

The company has nothing in place to assure that everything is going well between you and the trainer.
    There is supposed to be paperwork that you fill out and evaluate your trainer through the process.
    I wasn't told about this and no one made the trainer do it.
    The trainer is the one that sends the evaluation in to the company.....awkward.

My first trainer had hygiene issues, was using me for miles, I was always driving at night and would never let me back the truck up.

My 2nd trainer was a class act and a real stand up guy. I had no issues with him. I respect him and he treated me fairly and was a great trainer. But, he never sent in a trainer evaluation form. The company still had no way to know if things were going well.

I would not work for this company again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Locke

Locke Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Here is the PDF that was sent to me

No Forced New York...lol /sure whatever you say....

Attached Files:

Puppage Thanks this.
  4. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Below average mileage pay,

but often higher miles than many outfits.

8 speed ?

5. Locke

Locke Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2015
    higher miles less pay, yeah-- that isn't a balance. That math indicates one thing and one thing only.
    -Work harder/longer for the same amount of money someone else makes.

hunted Thanks this.
  6. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Correctamundo........

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene Motor Express is mostly drop & hook and trucks run 68 mph. Plenty of miles. Refrigerators in the trucks.
    Also check Britton Transport.

VdotFoxx Thanks this.
  8. u4icwargasm

u4icwargasm Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2016
    They go to northeast? They got terminals n Nevada or Colorado?

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Not sure about terminals. They run to some northeast states.

10. Ssand Man

Ssand Man Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2015
    10 miles from no where!
    Well, I'm sorry this was your experience here. I wish you'd contacted me for assistance.
    I've been here for 2 years. I had to take a short "break" to take care of personal issues at the home 20. When I was ready to come back out, this is where a made a straight shot to. I love working here, and have not had half the issues you state.
    I've always stressed a good relationship with your DM. That is VITAL!
    Anyone reading this, and contemplating coming here, feel free to ask me questions. If I don't have the answer, I'll send you to the person that does.
    We pull a LOT of just in time freight. That's the nature of the beast with reefers. You are NOT forced to run NYC, however, the northeast is a lot bigger than just NYC and you will run where dispatched.
    I consider my DM to be a close friend. When I came back, it was with the understanding that I would have him again.
    Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I won't bite your head off.

Crusader66, UsualSuspect and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Well, every company has drivers that are unhappy.
    Freymiller has a reputation that's way above average for a reefer outfit.
    Some drivers put way too much emphasis on CPM. Some companies pay .50 cpm and can't keep drivers because the miles just aren't there or sitting at meat processing plants for 24 to 48 hours or lousy accessorial pays.

Ssand Man Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.