From the conference room back to the driver's seat

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sawmill, Jan 27, 2016.

1. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    Well you threaded the needle on this one

4. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    **We interrupt this thread for some sentimental thinking***

I was talking to a friend today at the old company. One of the companies they delivered a lot of product to in the past filed for bankruptcy and then got bought out by another company that their sister company has a strained relationship with. Not good news for them, as if times in the oilfield weren't hard enough right now. Company executives butting heads and all but having a pissing for distance contest in the conference room....Sure makes me glad to be where I am. Granted, things could be a lot better as far as rates go, but listening to him talk about the woes of the chemical business made me glad to be where I am. I told him the only things I miss are the hot rod W900 I had and the health insurance plan.

I wondered when I started this if I had what it takes...now I realize it doesn't matter. If you have the aptitude for this work you can make it happen. That's what it comes down to...the aptitude for the job...many don't have it as evidenced by the 100% turnover in the industry. I will say it has been nice to bounce ideas off some of you guys and it helps to read other threads here as well. Let's keep going, shall we?

**Now back to your regularly scheduled trucking banter**

5. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Yeah, the bumper on that pickup is about 2" away from the counterweight on the forklift.

$3758 TTT from Amarillo to Tampa area.

6. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    So if anyone happens to be near Bradenton, FL and hears a sloppy contractor talking about how he lost a box of deck screws for his belt feed screw gun on SR70 this morning...please hold him til I get there, I need to issue him a beating. I guess I should feel lucky that it only hit the two outside left tires on the trailer and not all 9 down the left side. But still, it's $750 I wasn't planning on spending.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  7. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Tip for any Landstar guys reading...there is apparently a new rule with the Comdata cards. If you get fuel you may only do it once in a two hour time period. Every once in a while I will fuel 50 gallons and shut it off and fuel the rest of the way just to get the extra shower credit. Been doing this every now and then for the entire time I have been leased to LS.

But today I was at the TA at Vero Beach and the fuel hose bumped the shutoff handle when I walked by it and shut it off on me. Of course, communication not being Landstar's long suit, I knew nothing of the new rule until the fuel desk told me about it. Calls to Comdata were made, then they needed to hear from LS. Card Services told me it can be over-ridden if you call and ask them to do it but it doesn't stay that way forever.

8. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga

9. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    The company that I re-contracted to after I'd sold my 18 wheeler is acting strange too. The managers' actions and demeanor have dropped my jaw in perplexed amazement many times in the past year. Every silly, little thing is top secret and not to be shared with us contractors or their own employees. There are several other tell-tale signs that the company is about to implode. EVERYONE there has low morale, and I tell the other guys to "just keeeeep onnnn smilin' !" (As they are being bent over)
    I still need about 3 mos. of savings before I feel safe re-instating my authority, but as long as these checks are still clearing, I will get there.
    This thread inspires me to get back in and STAY in this time.

10. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I'll never figure out why agents will live and operate on pacific or mountain time and then traffic in freight in eastern time, give out only half the info needed to pick up and then act surprised when they get early morning phone calls about it.

Terry270, Al. Roper and Dominick253 Thank this.
  11. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    upload_2016-5-3_21-3-37.png With continuous improvement in mind I was doing some thinking. I can't really say I have a strategy when it comes to the loads I take. I tend to go out from the intermountain west to the south and bounce around a few weeks then go back toward home. I tend to look for loads first that have the highest dollar amount, then sort by the highest $ per mile, and then deadhead distance. I have thought about making a real effort in reducing my deadhead miles. I think I would end up doing more short trips that way, it seems like usually the loads closest to me don't go very far. I've had a hard time convincing myself to book anything for less than $1000 gross, usually the deadhead kills it or it doesn't feel like enough money for the time involved. Maybe the long runs are better? Guess some more thinking is in order...

Oxbow, blairandgretchen and Grijon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.