From the conference room back to the driver's seat

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sawmill, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Short loads typically mean a higher overall rate per mile, whereas the long haul stuff tends to not look so great in that respect.

On the spot market load board freight the short stuff is really suffering rate wise, but the long stuff isn't real good either.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    That's what I've always heard. Right now my average booked line haul is $2.41/mile. After Landstar's cut and all my deadhead miles I'm netting $1.54 TTT on average load of 1253 miles. I can't decide if I should leave well enough alone or purposely look for shorter runs with higher rates to see if I can improve. I've seen several guys on here saying they're lucky to be getting $1.20 so who knows. Nothing like shooting at a moving target.

Speaking of cutting deadhead I am on one right now that delivers to TX. There is a 99.9% chance I will reload in the same yard that I unload in. Somehow I ended up in the middle of a custody battle between agents. The one I'm hauling for now picked this load off a broker somewhere. It was at one time a direct customer for the one who will reload me when I get there. This particular customer sets the price but it is always a good rate. This load is paying 30% less than the contract rate, so at least we know what the broker got for his lack of efforts.

The other day I eluded to some shenanigans by the broker or agent, I'm not sure which one. Turns out one of them made an appointment at the shipper for me (without telling me), a place that generally does not require appointments. He also gave me a number that wasn't even close to being a pickup number. When he finally called back I learn of the appointment. He made me sit there and wait without providing the pickup number as punishment for showing up early. I managed to make friends with the security guard and got in early anyway.

I had committed in my mind that if I had to wait another 20 minutes I was going to leave and tell him to find another sucker. Good customer service? Probably not. Standing on principle? Yeah, I guess. Does LS have some agents that are the equivalent of the urine bottling, non showering, wife beater wearing and fast food consuming trucker? It would appear so. But they probably wear polo shirts and smell of deparment store cologne. My hunch is it was the broker who is shady. The agent just seemed like he was too wet behind the ears to be up to anything nefarious.

4. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    Try the short stuff out, and then you can make a comparison to see which works best for you. One things for sure, the bank account never lies.

5. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Delivered a load today and reloaded in the exact same spot. Zero deadhead. It gets better...This load will take me within 2 miles of the house. And it's over $3/mile gross. Can it get any better? Doubt it.

I only have two placard holders on my trailer. One for slip in placards and one of the choose your own adventure types. Still not enough for this load. This is why I carry a cordless circular saw and drill. Had to put on my carpentry hat and build enough to hold the third placard. I got the shipper to donate a pallet to the cause for lumber. I hate working with wood. You will never find me building my own home.

Sometimes I second guess some of the stuff I carry around but in times like this there's no denying the satisfaction of being self reliant.

6. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Sometimes I see things I just don't understand. I watched a guy at the fuel island today do something that seemed like it was bad for the truck. He finished fueling, then started filling the DEF. Then he proceeds to pour in four gallons of fresh Rotella motor oil , two in each fuel tank. I can't imagine the after-treatment system is going to like that, especially if he's doing it with any regularity.

7. fordconvert

fordconvert Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    nebraska
    Yikes ! I have 220 gallons of used oil that I've been itching to filter out and add to my fuel, but i just can't bring myself to do it. I suspect there would be a soot problem and injector trouble. It's like that hottie that winks at you with inviting , lustful eyes, but you know there's a likelihood that you'll end up with the itchy-scratchies in the end.
    Any opinions or experience on that ?....the oil burning part ?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Reason for edit: Spelling
    Dominick253 and Big_D409 Thank this.
  8. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Just my thoughts,,,,,

If Old school full mechanical injection,,, let it settle out, then pump the upper oil through a good filter, dump it in your fuel and burn it!! You'll have to use your judgement on how much of the dregs (bottom of the barrel) to take to be recycled, or feed to the wood stove!

If Electronic Injection,,, I'ld stick with using it for heating purposes, or taking it to be recycled! I'ld be afraid of getting itchy!!

9. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    There's so many people that burn oil for shop heat that I never considered putting any in my tanks. It's just easier to make a phone call and they will come get it. My uncle in eastern CO is always looking for oil. The part that gets me is this dude put fresh oil in his tanks on a new truck. Had to peel the seal off the bottle and everything.

Dominick253 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  10. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    After that oil messes up his DPF he'll be raising all kinds of hell, saying how these new trucks are junk. I'm a firm believer that IQ and common sense tests should be given prior to being given a CDL.

11. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Fixed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.