From the conference room back to the driver's seat

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by sawmill, Jan 27, 2016.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Learn something every day. Good discussion.

Oxbow, Terry270 and sawmill Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure if I can explain this in a way that will make sense to you, but the valve and valve seat wear over time. As that happens the valve springs pull the valve higher which eventually reduces the space (also called the valve lash) between the cross heads and rocker arms. If an overhead adjustment is not done to allow for that wear eventually the valve springs can no longer completely shut the valves which is when a burned valve occurs.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Thanks to all who explained this to me.

I totally discounted the valve face and seat wearing.

The valve train takes all the beating in a slow turning diesel while the rotating assembly just spins around like a Swiss watch.

5. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    Setting the overhead on a Series 60 isn't hard at all! Don't sweat it, just take your time, work slowly and pay attention. Double and triple check the feeler gauge measurements after torquing the nut back down to make sure it's perfect and you'll be in good shape! The injector height is also an easy adjustment just make #### sure you bought the correct tool, which I am sure you did. Read the thread and love it!

DonM and sawmill Thank this.
  6. PeteyFixAll

PeteyFixAll Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Well said:)

And checking after locking the jambnut is very important, chances are it'll have an effect on the adjustment, by the third you'll probably notice a little "windage" from tightening the nut!! If that makes any sense. Its really not hard, it's having some patience and being able to follow the directions.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    double yellow, sawmill and SL3406 Thank this.
  7. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Totally forgot about this last weekend, then saw all the thanks so here you go. I'll also mention, when this happened it sounded a LOT worse than it was. My gut was telling me that something more catastrophic would not have permitted me to limp it to a safe parking place to wait for the tow truck. A visual check of no internal parts hanging out the side, no oil slick underneath, and all the noise being up high encouraged me to limp it to a Lowe's a little ways up the road.

Pictured next to a product we all know and love for size perspective. And no I did not fix it with that. I only wish I had a 350 Chevy rocker arm laying around to compare size with instead. Fresh out.

cat-rocker.JPG

Here's just the end. Maybe the adjuster was over-tightened last time? Or maybe it just broke.

cat-rocker-tip.JPG

8. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Very good read, definitely good information.

9. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    The other day I was BSing with some guys I know at the shop and one of them was telling me his wife (who works at the POE) is putting trucks out of service for improper securement. Bungees are not load rated and do not qualify as securement. So I came up with a way to hang my ladder and use ratchet straps to hold it in place.

whoopNride, Terry270 and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
  11. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Yea, I got poped in WI for using bungies on my dunage in the landing gear.

In hind site how can we use them for the tarps without straps over the top too?

Terry270 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.