Front Discharge Cement Trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brinkj23, May 28, 2009.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota

Ok thanks I understand that alot better now, but will get it better when I am doing it or seeing it done in person. I know im gonna get trained in a rear discharge so someone can ride with but that will only be about two loads then ill get thrown in a front discharge. The one plus is my friends dad has been working here for about 12 years and am hoping i can request he train me, cause I have a easier time learning with someone I know. But thanks again you have been really helpful.

3. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I already sent this to you in a PM, brink, but I thought I'd post my 2 cents worth in on here. Honestly it ain't even worth that much given my limited experience. I mostly drove a dump truck hauling asphalt as you mentioned in a previous post on here.

From my PM to brink:

prisonerofthehwy Thanks this.
  4. poppy

poppy "I Love that Cushaw Pie"

Jul 31, 2007
    ky
    yeah, i guess John has been there forever, he is a nice fellow. have you been recertified lately, a guy from my plant just last month went, he said it was alot different and a bear.

brink, always remember. 1 when at the job, blame everything on the batchman. 2 when at the plant, blame everything on the contractor.:biggrin_25525:
    makes the day go better.:biggrin_2553:

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  5. prisonerofthehwy

prisonerofthehwy <strong>Ball and Chains</strong>

Sep 30, 2007
    Somerset Kentucky
    I got went for my Level one on Jan. 5th this year, and my level two class started the next day. My Level II certification says I got it on the 14th of Jan.
    It was my first time at the school. There was more state stuff on the test than they used to be, that much I know.
    One of the neighboring plant managers got a 100% on his level two five years ago, and he got an 87 this time. I got an 88%.
    Yes, John is a nice guy. He know's his stuff.
    By the way, on the blaming everything on the batchman thing, we already get chewed big time for every little thing the drivers do to the contractors dissatisfaction. :biggrin_25517:
    I am getting a big head, I've had comments about my mix the last two days..... better than the competions they all said. :biggrin_255:

6. prisonerofthehwy

prisonerofthehwy <strong>Ball and Chains</strong>

Sep 30, 2007
    Somerset Kentucky
    Thanks crow. By the way.... Flowable fill has cement in it too. :biggrin_25525: The amount depends on wether or not it is the permanent or the removable.
    But it has MUCH more fly ash than cement.

Scarecrow03 Thanks this.
  7. poppy

poppy "I Love that Cushaw Pie"

Jul 31, 2007
    ky
    i batched for several years, those good comments just last till the end of that day, goes back to rule one, don't believe contractors. wait till they have a slab bust apart, or pull apart finishing, then see who they come crying to, singing that old tune, " somethings wrong with that concrete".:biggrin_25526:

running a plant just ain't for me, too much bs for the money paid imho. i like the big truck, just myself and the radio.:biggrin_25525:

prisonerofthehwy Thanks this.
  8. dieseldan2005

dieseldan2005 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2009
    North Branch, MN
    My first driving job was a front discharge oshkosh mixer. That was the funnest job to date and i have been driving over 6yrs now. I have been in construction driving for most of that time. The mixers can get real topheavy so take your corners easy. Also i think others mentioned it, but don't listen to the contractors when they tell you to drive somewhere that you feel is unsafe in the truck. They are not responsible for it, you are. Also learn how to use your slump gauge. Contractors will look at you when they test to 1st batch and give you the 5-10 finger sign for gallons and then the drinking sign if they want to add more water. Also wash your inside down as good as possible or you will be hammering it out when it dries. Let me know if you have any more questions. Its been a while since i was in a mixer, but i recently was in an end dump, belly dump, and tri axle dump trucks.

9. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I knew I was forgetting something.

10. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info so far. I stopped down at the plant today talked with the boss and he had one of the drivers explain some things on the truck. Also sat in it for a bit looked around and got a little feel for the set up. Nice thing is the truck im getting is the one my buddy was driving so he told me a little about it. It is an oshkosh, but company does have a few advances to. But he said the slump gauge on that truck is a 4" slump when the gauge reads 1400. So if I have say 10 yards on and they want a inch more slump how much water or how long would I open the valve for and how long should one let it spin before it will get to the right slump? Thanks again, gotta take pee test tomorrow morning, which will take 2 days to get back then ill be driving(an also sleep in my own bed everynight.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.