Front Discharge Cement Trucks

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by brinkj23, May 28, 2009.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I just curious the difference in the schools from the military and the civilian sector. I was in the NAVY Seabees and poured alot of mud and went to concrete placement school that lasted a month. It mostly covered special mixes with high psi's for runways and bridges. We always used a plastic-concrete mix wit a 6" slump. 4" slump would be too dry in the temps we worked in. We even poured 25 yards with a 16S mixer on site. That's alot of sand,rock,cement, and water loaded by hand. And we never had any cracks in any of our pours.

We ran our own batch plants and did our own blasting at some sites. I missed out on going to blasting school and it's one of those things you kick yourself for. I would have came out with a federal license and that job pays really good.

I had to laugh when the item about the job sup came up. It's true they know nothing about the equipment and the hazards on the job site. I ran a D-8 for awhile and anytime I's show up I'd ask if there were any underground utilities and they'd say no we checked and I'd always find one when the water came running up. I do miss it but I was lucky to never have to be inside the drum with a jackhammer!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brinkj23

brinkj23 "Asphalt Cowboy"

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Well second day running the front discharge mixer, well first day was running a rear and today was in the front. But it was good, had a one load today that was a little tricky, cause the shoot was in a building and the mix was thick so it was getting stuck in the shoot, but thats what the contractor wanted. But it sure is weird sitting in the middle of the truck driving down the road. Pretty neat though having all the controls and playing with the joystick and learning how all the contractors are in town here. But so far so good, thanks again everyone for your insight and knowledge.

4. prisonerofthehwy

prisonerofthehwy <strong>Ball and Chains</strong>

Sep 30, 2007
    Somerset Kentucky
    One gallon per yard. Say if you had a ten yard load that was sitting on a four inch slump, ten gallons would get you to a five. :biggrin_25525:
    About 70 revolutions is what is required for you to spin your bowl on a state mix, but on average everyday concrete, about 30 spins should get you mixed up.

Baack Thanks this.
  5. shawnie

shawnie Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2011
    odon IN.
    please if anyone has any tips for me gladly accept i am a rookie starting next week for IMI working mainly driver front end concrete truck on I69 so please let me know the little tricks and tips of running a crete truck thanx

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    If I remember right IMI is off of 69 in anderson. There are a few things. Most are 11 yard mixers. Anything over 10 yards and you can burp them at a sudden stop. Traffic light etc. Speed the drum up before you stop. Left mirror you want the drum going up. Right mirror drum down. When you lay the material try not to pile it up. With practice you can lay it smooth as glass (after you push the people out of the way):biggrin_2559:

shawnie and brinkj23 Thank this.
  7. strat24

strat24 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois

You'll love it.

Make sure your drum is spinning the right way. Look to your left and it should be going up.

Watch your slump on state jobs, residential jobs give a little more slack.

Better to be a little dry then wet.... its a pain trying to take water out...:biggrin_2559:

When your pouring just find a comfortable speed and go with it.

After you get some experience you'll find out its all about the setup and position of the truck on the job.

Watch for power lines.

If someone is busting your ball* .... it means they don't have enough work to do. I like to pile concrete up on their side, it seems to quiet them down a little.

Doing interstate work is kinda stressful your first few times. Once you know where to enter it makes it easier. The pavement/barrier wall pours are easy. Its pretty much as quick as you can pour it out.

Its something new everyday. You will do alot of off-road driving.. nothing like hammering it through some mud to start your day.

Another tip when your pouring.

Keep it in low range, it will save some air pressure.

Thats just a few things. Its good work, IMI seems like a good company.

shawnie Thanks this.
  8. strat24

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois

Yep. I only hit Indiana a few times a year but I think its 10yd max.

Even with 10 yds if you have a 5" slump or wetter you can burp it out on a quick stop. I would say the closer to 6+ the more likely its going to happen.

With a grout, peagravel, or flowable fill load watch out, nice slow stops.

shawnie Thanks this.
  9. shawnie

shawnie Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2011
    odon IN.
    thanks for they advice another guestion on like overpasses and such do u pour in somthing so they can dispense it later or how does that work and what do u mean by off road driving

10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Most will only load 10 yards, but if you look at the data plate on the truck it is a 11 yard mixer.

11. strat24

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois

Usually over passes and such you pour into a pump. Just google concrete pump and a few pics will pop up.

If your going to be doing the I69 extension you shouldn't really have to much problems with being off road. Most of the time you will either be doing barrier walls or filling in gaps they can't get with the machines and dump trucks.

By off road: We are usually the 1st building material on a job. We do footings and 99.9&#37; of the time you won't be on anything solid. Pulling onto dirt with 40,000 lbs of concrete can make it interesting.

Its usually not bad unless it has been raining. Just go 6x6 and hammer down and you should be good.

Anymore questions feel free to ask. Its a great job. Like any other job it takes time to get it down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.