Frozen brakes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by skro47, Nov 30, 2015.

1. skro47

skro47 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Québec Canada
    ####, out of my 19 trucks 5 had all brakes frozen... All of them 2016 cascadia.

It did rain and its now -2 celcius but come on... Only the Cascadia froze. I hope its not à bad back plate design or a common problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Have the driver knock the drum with a mallet ? Happens from time to time on my Prostar, just have to drag my arse under and knock a drum once and a while takes all of 2 min. Now if your freezing your valves then your drivers need to learn to drain da tanks, tho in these newer trucks the dryer should keep most of that out of the system. =)

4. skro47

skro47 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Québec Canada
    I know it takes 2 mins. Did the hammer thing. They are supposed to purhe tanks but pads were frozen to the drums, not frozen air liens or tank. There was ice everywere inside the drums.

Trucks did not move while it was raoning last night. And I only had troubles with one particular truck model.

5. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    If the brakes were already locked and the water froze over all of them nothing would of prevented this. Any truck would of had it freeze up in the right conditions. Welcome to winter it sucks, we all hate it, but at least its better then dealing with idiot 4 wheeler's attempting to pull campers the length of my trailer.

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Thanks this.
  6. skro47

skro47 Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Québec Canada
    Haha had my first winter welcome 5 years ago. Used to it... Simply hoping it wont happen all the time you know... 5 out of 5 froze...

Talking about campers... We had one about 5 weeka ago with 5times premited propane tanks catch fire in the tunnel going in Montréal. Closed for about 12 hours.

Fajo Thanks this.
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sometimes helps to gently rock the truck in reverse a couple times to break the shoes free of the drum. Usually works.

Dave_in_AZ and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  8. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's what i do. I've never had to pound the truck brakes or drums.

COURSE, if I'm hooked to a loaded trailer. I'll lower the landing gear and drop the suspension so i'm not pulling the weight of the load.

9. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    I wonder if your Cascadia where parked at a different angle then your other trucks?

Normally if my brakes freeze I can just pump my brakes for a bit. It will usually break free.

10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    I just cuss, get the hammer out, and go to work. Then when I get back in the truck I look at all the trucks leaving that have one or more wheels frozen just dragging their wagon not a clue.

tucker Thanks this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If i can drag to asphalt. i'll take that over freezeing my arse off, laying in the snow, trying to free em up.
    Now, if drivers are dragging down 25 miles of asphalt, still locked up. Then i'd be doing something, ( probably not pretty either ).

If i'm stuck, then it sucks.

skro47 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.