Fuel efficiency...

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dngrous_dime, May 29, 2016.

1. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    What do you have that helps economy? I know with the load being open, it's somewhat limited in what you can do, but every little bit has to help.

Blondieone Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Lift one axle and dump the air from the other.
    Much less friction and wear on the tires too.

:D

4. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    And this is why we can't have nice things.....lol

5. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    MidWest_MacDaddy and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  6. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    One idea I've had is to design "cab tails", using the same concept as trailer tails. If the load is low-profile, directing the airflow around the cab and over the trailer "should" be more efficient, in theory.... Granted, it's not one size fits all.

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

In the heavy haul world fuel efficiency goes out the stack

Hurst, johndeere4020 and cnsper Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL

That DD16 I ran last year was doing good at 3.8 - 4 mpg. Being of the O/O mindset,. I kept track of it. Carrier said dont worry about it. No idle restrictions. Fuel was not even on board as a concern. Back of my mind I was like,.. But? But?,... But what about,..??

For me and my current model, fuel mileage is very important. On certain low rate loads,.. making up for the loss of rate with better fuel mileage from a light load often evens things out when doing the math at the end.

My wife said it best,.. "You have to pick and choose your battles out there".

Hurst

9. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Mpg is an art. Over 700 hp, hauling heavy and I can get a better average than a boy with 550 hp can get. But like pass said it isn't really much of a concern with what I do. It is how you use it.

TripleSix and passingthru69 Thank this.
  10. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Yes I do try to watch my fuel mileage some what. But with a dead apu and not really taking the time to install a better one. My idle fuel kills me

Hurst Thanks this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    When I first got this truck,. I idled all the time. I honestly did not know how much fuel was costing me to idle.

I knew it was hurting me but not knowing the true amount sort of left me with that ignorance is bliss mentality.

Last year when I put the generator in here and started to cut back and minimize my idle time, it really threw me for a loop to see how much my weekly fuel expenses went down and how my MPG increased in the truck. On average I save $300 a week from not idling last year. This year with lower fuel prices,.. its about $175 a week. When fuel prices go back up is where I will really make out. Figure I work about 40 - 42 weeks a year,.. $300x 40 weeks is roughly $12,000 that stayed in my pocket. That little $2000 generator has paid for itself over and over.

Hurst

Chewy352 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.