"Fuel Lane Status" - E Knoxville Pilot - Any Comments?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by STexan, Jul 20, 2016.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I noticed at the Pilot, east of Knoxville (Off Strawberry Plains Pkwy) has a digital sign above each lane that seems to indicate how long the truck at the fuel island has been there, or "Open" if the pump lane is open.

This seems like an interesting concept but I just wonder if
    • it works accurately
    • it is used to track down dead-beats who park at the fuel island or are obstructed by someone in front of them, and action is taken to get them to move
    • it actually helps reduce dead-beat frequency. ("Dead-beat" for the purpose of this discussion is anyone who spends an in-ordinate amount of time inside the store or otherwise not actively engaged in the fueling process, and causes unnecessary delay for any/all trucks behind them)
    I noticed the count-up timer seems to start when the pump is started, but I'm unsure what has to happen to stop the timer. I also noticed empty lanes say "Open", and other lanes stated "04:10, 08:35", etc that had trucks fueling at them

But I also noticed one truck parked at the pump and it's sign said "28:00" and still counting up. Sure enough there was no activity at/in the truck that I could see. I fueled next to this truck, after fueling, I noticed the truck still there (no activity) and checked, and the timer was still going. At the time, they were not overly busy, and no trucks were waiting, so I did not consider this one dead-beat to be a deal.

So, I'm wondering if Pilot has taken the second step of getting time abusers to move? Is there a beeper inside that begins to beep when a truck exceeds a certain time threshold? Is there a display showing the status of the pumps? Does anybody care?

Anyway, I was wondering if those who fuel there regularly have any opinions on this new setup? How long have they been doing this there? Are they testing this at any other truck stops? Do they implement this costly system inside to keep dead-beats out or do they rely on drivers to "report the dead-beats"?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Well sounds interesting and can't see how it could mess things up more than they already are. I do remember a J that was keeping up with trucks and running them off with no technology though.

4. BigPerm

BigPerm Medium Load Member

Dead beats can't read, don't care, and you generally can't shame them into pulling their heads out of rectal cavities.
    "Me first, you second...maybe".

91B20H8 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Interesting concept. Doubt it will be very effective. Seems like nobody cares one iota about anyone else out here, and that's beyond trucking, society in general.

What they should do is have a trap door that opens if the truck hasn't moved after 10 minutes.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, it gives incoming drivers a heads up about where the problem trucks may be [assuming the system is somewhat truthful and accurate] then they can have meaningful information to report to the fuel desk during peak periods when backups are a serious problem. Then, if management does not do anything, we can wonder why they went to the expense of implementing this system and call them out on it.

I applaud PFJ for implementing this pilot program. I just hope they follow through at the fuel desk level.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    If they can post the time at the pump, the people inside should know it also. Maybe whoever sits behind that mirrored glass can actually do something. 20 minutes after the pump is hung up and they are on the phone to Billy Bob's Towing Service. Or maybe the cops can find some annoying charge to nail them with (they're good at that).

I say make it happen after sitting behind a flatbed this morning until I finally got fed up and backed out.

8. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Never ever pull behind a flatbed at a fuel aisle, unless you need to take your 30 minute break

Hick Thanks this.
  9. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Have backed a set of pups out of a fuel lane before. The J just as you enter Va headed south on I81 , used to have a guy in forcing time at the pumps, running around in a referee shirt. Pull ahead ...

10. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    I love the ones that wash their trucks at the fuel island.

NavigatorWife and tucker Thank this.
  11. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    I know there was always a few who were apt to block the pumps and live in the truckstop years ago, but since the 30 min break has come into being it is now terrible with the trucks who do this. Husband has left stations and gone somewhere else to fuel up.

This concept might be good if they enforce it, but it could cause problems if the person ahead pulls up and then parks on the line not letting the truck behind him out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.