galaxy 99 or general lee

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by southtx, May 26, 2011.

1. Mad Dog 20/20

Mad Dog 20/20 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Skid Row
    I have worked many Europeans using FM but about 2 MHz lower than where you were.:smt064

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    :biggrin_25513: Your a bad boy :biggrin_25513:

4. Rob G

Rob G Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Alabama
    Y'all are talkin' over my head. How far would VHF or FM get out? Keep in mind, "truckers" don't really need to get out more than 10 or 15 miles to have effective communication on the road. Point is, if I'm in Georgia, I don't care what the bears are doing in Texas, or where the backup is in Chicago.

5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    There are truckers that are HAMS and do run FM on 10 6 and 2 meters.

We were manly talking about the MODE vers AM as a mode TO ME it was a mistake for the FCC not to set up some ch on CB for FM .....

6. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

The 4 watt limit does nothing to keep the airwaves clean, especially when "skip" conditions are heavy. Skip conditions effect shorter distance comunications. Like it has been said, 4 watts can be heard and worked when using these conditions. Especially the guys that are running bases with the antennas 20 feet or more int he air.

I don't go out of my way to try and comunicate with people on the other side of the country. Not saying it has not happened but I don't do it on purpose. When in town I run around 3-4 watts. Don't need anymore, when out onthe road I can turn it up a bit unless I am bunched in with the guys I am running with then I leave it down to the 3-4 watt area. It gets real hard to pull in people with lower powered stock Cb radios when they get 7 miles out. Especially when you are running in areas were there is alot of electrical interference.

The guys that can't get out past a mile or so usually have setup issues. Bad coax, miss tuned antennas etc. I usually help fix these problems for them if we end up sitting and waiting at a load point or when we get done at the end of the day.

We had one guy that we could hardly hear past 1 mile. I checked out his setup and his antennas etc were fine. The problem was that he held the mic at an arms length away and was a soft talker. Turning up the mic gain did not help. Finally the circiut protection diode in his cobra went south and he was popping inline fuses left and right. I offered to fix the radio free of charge. The diodes are cheap as hell and I don't mind playing. While I was at it, I replaced the light in the meter and did a couple little tweeks to the modulation etc. Now we can hold a convo with him upto and past 7 miles. He used to not care if he could get out or not, he was happy doing 1 mile. Now he is even happier because he can actually comunicate with other drivers. Since then I have tweeked 10 other cobra 29s and I have atleast 5 other drivers waiting for some down time with me in the yard so that I can "play" with theirs.

7. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Rat ....

I don't disagree with your idea that more power on Cb would add range I just don't see 11 meters as the band to do it on. The problem on 11 is everyone is already running over 4 watts ....

You need a place with enough power to give you the range you need without skip ...... Canada has a good idea .....

8. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

That is my point, why have a rule in place that no one is following anyway.

Kind of like ND a few years ago. All posted speed limits were 55 mph. Everyone was doing 75 mph anyway. Now the speedlimits are 75 mph on the interstates and 65 mph on the state roads. The majority of the people are driving the speedlimits. Well not all of us. My truck is governed out to 68 and my pickup gets better milage at 65 or less.

It is a useless law/rule and is outdated. It is causing people to hack clean radios up into splattering boxes because they can not purchase clean equipment that will do the extra power that most all of us seek.

Then we get some hams crying and whining about radios bleeding into their territory. The whine and cry that it is because of the power output etc when it has more to do with how filthy the radio is rather thent he power it puts out.

All we can do is buy these cleaner "illegal" radios and supposedly worry about some scale master or DOT officer reading us the riot act for owning one because the FCC gave them the power to supposedly enforce these radios.

Then we have the self appointed radio police driving around in their #### box cars etc looking for people that are transmitting with too much power on 11 meters.

CB radio could be so much better if they would let it grow rather then hold it back with some of these rules and laws.

To me it would be like the Gov putting a HP limit on all cars and pickups and putting speed limiters on them so that they can only go the posted speedlimit. For the most part you would not need much over 100 HP to push a car at the posted speedlimits. Now that would get a bunch of peoples panties in a twist!!!!

9. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida

10. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

More food for thought.

How about they put laws into place that you can not own a sports car or a car with more then 150Hp without a special liscense and that you would only beable to use such vehical on a closed course track?

How about making it so that you have to have a class A CDL to pull ANY trailer longer then 15 ft behind ANY vehical.

Make it so you have to have a class B to drive any vehical longer then 20 feet. Whoops that would really put a damper on the RVers. Make it so that they have to follow the exact same rules and regulations of class A trucks. That means they have to follow the same hours of service rules etc.

I personally have the endorsments on my liscence to drive any land based vehical I see fit with the exception of hazmat or multi trailers or a passenger bus carrying passengers ,but that one is coming, or run on a race track in competition.

As far as the chop shops and wack packs. I don't do them. My connex was run across a bench to make sure it was on frequency and doing the output it is supposed to do. Nothing more, nothing less. I had one (connex 4300HP) that had extra stuff done to it. it ran hot, kept having to be sent back for burnt out caps etc. It finally gave up the ghost and I threw it in the trash. My 4600 turbo is left alone and I am happy. It doesn't tranmit on any other channel then what I have the selctor on. You can't even hear a murmer from it unless you are on the same channel.

As far as Canada, I run alot in Manitoba and have yet to hear about this and most of them that I know are running 11 meter radios or on the 11 meter band. I am going to have to check into this a little further since I am up that way ALOT. Going up there this afternoon actually. Have to pickup a load near Mcgregor Manitoba then towards Brandon MB then south on highway to to the peace gardens then back into the states and off to a processing plant in south Cental ND and back home again. Shoudl be a good 600 mile day.

Have fun!!!!

11. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.