Galaxy DX88HL

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Ssimmons, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Ssimmons

Ssimmons Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Moncks Corner, SC
    I have a 2000 Freightliner FLD120 with a Galaxy DX88HL, K40 antenna, beldin 9' coax, and a cobra power mic. I had the radio peak, tuned, and aligned but just don't seem to be getting out like it should. I don't think it's the radio but maybe my setup. What's the best way to set it up or a good starting point. SWR is set at 1.3 on my meter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    What do you mean like not getting out?
    What kind of range?
    Btw the FLD is one the best truck radio wise, these trucks have awesome ground, i have talk the whole planet with a connex 4800 and a 5.5 francis barefoot.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. Ssimmons

Ssimmons Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Maybe 2 miles at most. I can hear them but they can't hear me or won't answer

5. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Ant system is crucial, i would have ant system/coax check make sure your ant work the way it should.

I am not familiar with the K40 ant....

Then i would have the radio check by reputable tech.

TheDude1969 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  6. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Your a new member, hopefully its safe to assume you have your power settings, and mic gain set. Another issue I see is that your using a power mic, is it possible your over modulating so bad the people within two miles want to shut you up, and anyone further can tune you out? <---I don't say that to be rude, its a possibility (I've been there, done that).
    You didn't mention if this was new, or old install... If old check for good grounds with coax removed from antenna, inspect coax for graying and kinks, and replace antenna lug. That is all the nearly free advice I can give. Next step is taking it in to a good CB shop with an antenna analyzer.

dawgfan, rabbiporkchop and Ougigoug Thank this.
  7. Jesus is the only way

Jesus is the only way Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Coeburn V.A.
    STOP USING YOUR RADIO!!!!!!! No way you are getting that low of SWR with only 9 feet of coax!! You need at least 18 feet, that's why you can't hear and get out, I'm betting your SWR is way higher and it's a wonder you haven't blown the finals out of it yet!

You can't go by the meter on your radio, they are never set correctly from the factory. Find a CB shop, buy 18 feet of coax and have the SWR set correctly. Anything under 2.0 SWR is completely fine and you want gain a thing by chasing that 1.1 SWR. Been playing with radios for 23 years so I know this to be true.

GET IT FIXED NOW OR YOU WILL BE REPLACING FINALS IN THAT RADIO!

8. Ssimmons

Ssimmons Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Moncks Corner, SC
    I'll get a coax today. I had a 18' coax on my other truck but when I went to put the radio in this truck the gut I got the antenna from said I only needed 9'.

9. Jesus is the only way

Jesus is the only way Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Coeburn V.A.
    No, you need 18 feet to do it right. Trust me, it will work just fine after this.

10. Ssimmons

Ssimmons Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2016
    Moncks Corner, SC
    I trust you. Like I said I had my other trucks setup and had no problems. Took this truck to a CB shop and had it setup and my radio hasn't worked right sense and couldn't figure out why. Even had it to other shops and they said radio was fine but wouldn't look at the truck

11. kc0iv

kc0iv Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Parkville, Mo
    The correct length of coax is -- long enough to reach from the radio to the antenna. Firestick started the 18 foot myth because of their antenna.

And BTW I've been in radio as both a CBer and as a Ham for over 50 years.

leon
    kc0iv

slim6596 and TheDude1969 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.