gall bladder surgery

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by chillymac99, Dec 1, 2015.

1. chillymac99

chillymac99 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2013
    I had my gall bladder remove this past weekend. How long is the recovery time before I go back to driving?

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    How did you gather up the 'gall' to ask that? Sorry...I couldn't resist. Didn't the doctor tell you what recovery time was or give you some kind of written literature?

tucker and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  4. chillymac99

chillymac99 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2013
    yes. they said about 30 days. I was just looking for anything sooner than 30 days.

5. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    I don't think you can go back before you are released by your doctor, so he is the one that has the option to let you go back sooner.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Kev's Sunshine

Kev's Sunshine Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    OH - IO!
    Thirty days? Good lord. I had mine out, open (not laproscopy) and I was back to work in two weeks. No heavy lifting for a month. Was feeling okay after a few days.

7. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Never take your doctors advice. Instead ask a bunch of truckers their medical opinion.

When I had mine out, it was 3 1/2 weeks, exactly what my doctor told me to do.

8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    In 1994 i had mine out on Thursday and was back trucking on Monday.

9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I had mine out in 2001. Had full open surgery due to an infection from the stones. I had the zipper removed after a week and 5 days later I was back to work in construction operating an excavator for a pipe crew. No heavy lifting for about 2 more weeks,.. nothing that would stress the stomach muscles or potentially open the scar back up.

Its really an easy surgery. I dont think I was ever uncomfortable or in any severe pain. I was out longer for shoulder surgery and actually needed pain medication for that one. They had me on a morphine pump for 4 days while in the hospital for the gall bladder surgery,.. After they took me off I didnt notice any difference in pain so I declined the pain meds the doctor offered. They had me on percocet for the shoulder pain after that surgery. I ended up increasing the dosage from 7.5's to 10's 3 times a day just to deal with the pain. Never want to go through that again.

Not sure about the rest of you guys,.. but I havent had much of a solid poo ever since they removed it and have developed IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) as a side effect. Basically as soon as I eat,.. within 20 - 30 mins,.. I need to poo. Garbage in,.. garbage out.

And lately its really erratic,.. I have been on a diet,.. I promised my wife I would drop some weight and get healthier. Now I dont always poo immediately after eating,.. I only eat once a day now, usually some rabbit food or something with out carbs and low sugar content. So sometimes it takes 2 - 3 hours and when it comes,.. I dont have much time,.. else I'll mess my pants. Not exactly ideal for a trucker. Thats how its been with me.

Hurst

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    LindaPV and scottlav46 Thank this.
  10. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    Yep, eat salad and I am a time bomb

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.