Garmin GPS truck routing

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Hopfrog, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Woody13

Woody13 Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Already been said LBZ. But I have no problem once again putting this warning out there. I have the 465T. This is my 5th one. Four of them crashed within a week or two and I had to take them back. Lot's of hassle listening to store managers tell me it's not the unit but something in my truck. Nothing wrong with my truck and I handled these things with kid gloves. Their too expensive to do otherwise. The one I have now (cross my fingers) has been working fine now for a few months. I'm well past the return policy for a quick fix if it quits on me now and I'll have to go through the factory if it breaks down. But I only turn it on at critical points durring my trips to keep the hours of service to a minimum and I pray everytime I turn on the power that it will power up and stay up. It's a constant worry.

But bottom line is:
    It is a good unit as long as it works.

But be prepared if it doesn't and you have to work through half a dozen of them to find a good one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    Appreciate the info. Just saw the Garmin factory outlet store was selling these for $259 shipped. Looks like they are bringing out a new version in March. *Edit: Just noticed the print on the bottom of their page stated it as Newly Overhauled. Am assuming that is a more positive way of saying refurbished.*

I have to do mutli stop stuff in cities & cannot print out enough maps to do it on my own 100%. Well I can, but takes forever setting it all up, then one p/u or drop changes & it is all out the window. Think I am just going to flip a quarter between the 465T & the TND500.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    I have had a TND 500, since last November. That's 2009. Ive only had a problem like 5 times. when it does crash. I just power it down for about 10 minutes, turn it back on and it runs fine. although I don't like the routing it does sometimes. It has a tendency to tell me that some overpasses are not truck leagal, even though I go over them all the time. It tries to rout me about 5 to 10 miles out of my way just to get to the oter side of the overpass.

5. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I"ve had a Garmin 465T for 8 mo now.,no crashin,but although I like,I borrowed my brother"s Rand McNally for a run,and in my opinion it is better....Footnote,my 465T will run me through a LOW overpass everytime...-wants to get me in trouble maybe?:biggrin_2554:

6. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Had my 4655 since day one. No issues what so ever build quality software are top notch . Just update my maps and software last night and see five screen with much needed improvements done like truck speeds better speaker not out yet but it got me looking again

7. NFG

NFG Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Ball of Confusion
  8. oldman1973

oldman1973 Bobtail Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Macon,GA
    After having a Garmin 465t for almost half a year I can say I have been fairly pleased with the results. This is the only Garmin that is designed for the truck so make sure that if you purchase a Garmin it is the 465t, I have heard rumors a new Truck Garmin is coming out in March, we will see. There have been times that a location has been on the wrong side of the road and it has taken me the long way around to a location at times but it is still great to have. It has maps for both the US and Canada which is great. There are things I would change to improve the unit so Garmin give me a call!
    Note: I also have a Tom Tom which is for cars but I use it when trying to find truck stops on my route, Garmin locates Truck Stops but doesn't specify those on route but points to the direction they are on the map. Garmin needs the POI on route feature that Tom Tom has. Remember no GPS is perfect and only use as a tool.

9. oldman1973

Aug 6, 2010
    Macon,GA
    Check your height settings, my 465t constantly warns me of height warnings. In Canada it tried to get me off the main highways due to their low bridges but other trucks would go thought so I followed.

10. fallinangel

fallinangel Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Branford Florida
    i was lookin around the web last night at the garmin 465T and they were expensive so I went to walmarts web site and there they were for 142.00
    is there any out there better i was looking at the pc miler and randmcnally but not sure as i havent ever used one just use my atlas and phone

11. oldman1973

Aug 6, 2010
    Macon,GA
    I tried the pc miler but it crashed and I sent it back and got the Garmin 465t. When it crashed it lost all POIs so I lost confidence in it. I have heard some truckers like the Rand McNally so it might be worth a try. I like the Garmin, would buy a Tom Tom if they made a Truckers version just due to the POIs on route feature. Even a car GPS is good as long as you check the route and make sure it is Truck friendly. At the least a car GPS can give you a good idea as to a location. Note: The Garmin 465t has had business locations in it the Tom Tom didn't and the Garmin, which is Truck designed, has kept me on Truck legal routes. I still check my maps. Good luck on your choice and I have read that some have had issues with their Garmins at times so nothing is perfect!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.