Get an instant pay raise

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by WisconsinF150, Jul 25, 2016.

1. WisconsinF150

WisconsinF150 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2014
    You can get an instant pay raise by moving to a state with less or no income tax!!

Don't get stuck in a rut, paying thousands and thousands of dollars to your state with nothing in return!

If you make 100K and live in a state w/a state income tax like NC, you're paying $7,750 a year that you won't pay if you live in a different state.

That's real spendable money.

New York $8,820, Oregon $9,900 EVERY YEAR!!!!! in ten years that's a good chuck of money, not to mention the interest you could be getting on it.

Is it really worth thousands of extra dollars just to live in your state????

The top map is a state "tax burden" map showing total state and city taxes, the bottom map just shows income tax rates by each state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Now you know why I chose Nevada! I've lived in Tennessee and Florida also which are good for tax purposes.

4. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    Well... There's just too many variables to call it an instant pay raise, cmon now. State tax or not ya couldn't pay me enough to live in SD, WY, FL or WA because the weather in those places suck (amongst other things). What does Nevada have? Las Vegas and surrounding areas (Reno is meh). On the other hand Texas is decent (hot, yes) but it's doable.

Usually the higher taxed areas always pay a higher wage. I'd bet equally qualified local guys make more in CA than they do in FL, even with the taxes. Maybe other states the margin is slim, or even flipped in the opposite direction. Personally, I'm not dropping everything to find another job in a brand new state just to make (save) a couple grand (better cities probably way less). I guess it's different if you were planning on moving to a lower taxed area anyway.

This is like me saying stay in Elko, NV don't come to CA cause you'll get docked pay... It's not that clear cut and dry like the infomercial in the OP. Also, for most Americans the money won't be gaining any interest at all cause it'll be spent on a new Harley, F150, kids, vacation, home upgrades etc (nothing wrong with either).

Upright and Dominick253 Thank this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't know about you but I'd rather "waste" $3k/yr on me and my family rather then throw it down a rat hole [that is state government]

6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    As mentioned above, too many variables in play... We lived in Florida for a few years and yes, no State Income Tax is nice but it seemed like everything else was more expensive. And just because there are no "taxes" on wages does not mean there are no "fees" or other "taxes" associated with living there. Government WILL get funded one way or another... Someone is always footing the bill.

Live where you are happiest.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is only part of the equation, property taxes are the other half. A few states have high property taxes and somewhat low income tax, while it may not sound all that important, part of the $7k I save income tax may be gone from property taxes.

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    You spun that just like a natural born liberal. Yep, Montana has an income tax, but we have no sales tax. The property taxes are also fairly low. Just because you do not have an income tax does not mean they do not get their money. I think Washington has dang near 10% sales tax.

9. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    An accountant could sit down and analyze your spending habits, land value, etc... and determine what the cheapest state for you to live in would be if you're so concerned.

Otherwise just stay away from New York, California, Illinois, any others that are complete rip offs..?

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yes. And some states have high income taxes AND high property taxes. Screw them.

But property tax rates are more of a localized issue... As is properly values. Not so much a state-wide thing.

11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The idea that anyone is paying the top income tax rate, on the entirety of their income, on a truck driver's income, shows an astounding lack of understanding of some very basic principles of how taxes work.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.