Get my CDL on my own without going to school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by larry79, Mar 20, 2008.

1. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Larry, it sounds like your on your way to gettin what you want. I for one hope it all works out well for you. Good Luck, and if you need anymore advice on anything let me know. I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction. Keep us posted on your progress and remember always be safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wpeoples

wpeoples Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Well I passed! Class A CDL in hand now looking for work! The folks at Dons towing were real good and made it very simple. Im now waiting to hear back from Maverick. Has that been others experience also, response right away, send me forms right away and now nothing........ im still waiting.

4. kaydriver1

kaydriver1 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2007
    monett,missouri
    Congrats peoples! Columbia huh! I have an aunt that lives in Columbia. I have been on the waiting list for a little over 2 months, granted though I didn't have my class a until last week. I'm supposed to be hearing from my recruiter tomorrow. She said the list is going faster now since they did away with the schooling so It may not be long at all she said. Maybe I'll see you down there. I would keep checking in.

5. GrumpyDad

GrumpyDad Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Congrats Peoples, Just don't be too eager to start. We're tryin to get our message across to the public, that if we don't get something done about these out of control fuel prices alot of us will be out of business!!! PLEASE read the boards and support us if you want this industry to get better. Thanx in advance for any and all support!!!

6. andrew5184

andrew5184 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    I grew up on the road with my dad. He passed away when I was about 9, but diesel still runs in my veins (literally, as he accidentally sprayed me once...lol).

I have a business degree and somewhat enjoy my current job, but I long to sit behind the wheel of a big rig again. I'd probably just go hire on with one of these companies that will train you, but I'm married, and OTR is out of the question (already asked). I was about to give up on my dream, but thought I might see how hard it'd be to get my CDL on my own and maybe drive part time. Is this a crazy dream that will never be realized?

Does anyone have any recommendations or contacts in my area that could help? I live in the Tulsa, OK area. Right now, I'm mostly concerned with getting the CDL. (I know finding a part-time job with 0 experience sounds crazy, but I'll jump that hurdle later.)
    :biggrin_25519:

Andrew

7. allysman

allysman Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Hemet, CA

Question:biggrin_2554:

In regards to bypassing trucking school to obtain your CDL and train OTJ...I've been reading in a few other threads that most reputable companies won't hire you on unless you've attended an accredited school first, either through (their) company sponsorship or, private training. Is this something that one should consider beforehand?

8. Area904

Area904 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    It's an old thread, but I'm gonna bump it, because it's relevant to my situation and other's, I'm sure.

Allysman, as a newb myself, I'm not qualified to answer your (old) question, and you've probably already moved on at this late date, but I don't think it will make a lot of difference unless you're determined to hire on with a specific company. Check with them FIRST before you make a final decision. There are plenty of companies who will hire you regardless of how or where you got your CDL. They may not be the best companies, but they probably won't be the worst, either.

As for our situation. We're like many of you out there. Those who have followed my posts know that the wife and I both NEED our CDL's. We want to eventually drive as a company team for somebody. I drove semi's decades ago, but she never drove anything larger than a 1-ton U-Haul box. I KNOW I can pass all of the tests with a little practice, but until now, the only option was a school. We can't afford any school without a pre-hire and a company paying for it up front. That will become costly if I/we can't/don't stay the full term of the prerequisate contract with any company (job satisfaction is important for us).

The wife is on disability, so Social Security will pay for her training at the local community college in order to get her back into the work force, but her school doesn't start until the end of August, and will continue to the end of October. It would be mid-November at a minimum before she could earn a paycheck! We can't wait that long with the bills still pilling up as unpaid, so I need to get myself on the road ASAP, then wait for her! I WANT here to attend this 8-week school for the lengthy (and hopefully better) fully-accredited training she will receive.

Funny how things work out (sorry the post is getting long, but bear with me... I think it's worth it)! We've been trying to quit smoking in order to save money. The wife is doing good, after two weeks. I'm not doing too well. I went 24 hours this time before giving in, so drove to the local Hess for a pack of smokes. As I turned back onto the road to the house, a neighbor (whom I'd never met) was doing a pre-trip on the rig parked outside his home. On a whim, I stopped and introduced myself. I told "Dave" of our plight and asked for any suggestions. His response bowled me over! I could have kissed him, and he definately AIN'T my type!

Dave doesn't know me or the wife from Adam and Eve, but he quickly offered the use of his rig for practice on his local runs and to get our CDL exams! "Anything to help!", he said! He even knows a Florida designated examiner who will give us the driving test in Dave's rig for $50/each, and Dave promised it is a good, valid, legal test recognized by DMV. We must pass it correctly to get licensed, and absolutely NO shortcuts, he cautioned.

So, as soon as I get my permit (I should be ready for the tests about mid-week), I can start driving with Dave as my mentor! He lives only 1/2 a mile from me! I could be a company driver by the end of July!

There are still good people in this world! :biggrin_25514:

See my tag-line?

9. Area904

Area904 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Update! The deal with Dave fell through! He won't return my calls, and he's never at home. Forget Dave! My 2nd choice is a better deal in the long run:

I had sent applications to PTSI (P.A.M. Transport Services, Inc.) and several others. Today I called C1 Truck Driver Training in Indianapolis, and confirmed I'm already pre-hired to start school July 7, all tuition paid, "loan" forgiven after one year with P.A.M. or an affiliate, plus sign on bonuses and bonus after 1-year. I should have my CDL by July 26. Then it's back to Jacksonville for a few weeks paid orientation at the local Allen Transport terminal (PTSI affiliate), pick up my "condo", then go on the road solo!

Why Indianapolis? C1 offers the Least out of pocket starting expense of all I've talked to (through pre-hire and tuition assitance) and has a good enough reputation, AND the wife has family in Kentucky. I'll need to buy my own food, which I'd have to do anyway.

Why PTSI? I disclosed to them my blood pressure problem which I only discovered yesterday (150/70), and they will pre-hire with a 1-year medical card (up to 160/90 BP), and no penalties. I'll drop the wife off in Kentucky for a 3-week visit with her family, and then pick her up on the way home. She still plans to start the local community college CDL course in late August.

I might get out of debt and get my plane flying again yet! :yes2557:

10. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I'd stay local and haul the end dump. I really don't believe you can get OJT with Swift if they still use drivers with 6 months experience. But that's me. I like making alot of money and being home every night.

11. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Great and good luck
    Dave may have gotten caught up in the moment and realized what he promised
    Your new route sounds much better if you ask me

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.