Getting hired (trying to go to school) and meds plz help

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by McKenna, May 2, 2016.

1. McKenna

McKenna Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm on lorazapam and gabapentin for insomnia yes I have dot physical letter from Dr says safe to drive cmv and eeg report says I don't take gabapentin for seizures would it be easier to get hired if I had my own truck? Unfortunately this combo seems to be the only thing that makes me sleep like a normal person... yes I've tried otc and a lot of sleeping pills all did nothing or make it worse

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No, having your own truck and trying to lease on isn't going to make your situation easier ...

4. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Shouldn't be an issue, if your doc has signed off that the meds will not inhibit driving. Your insomnia could be viewed as disability, so technically they can't refuse to hire you on that note. Plan to wait a few days extra at an orientation waiting for your doc to communicate with the physical doc and mro. I was prescribed xanax to be used as a sleep aid as a driver, companies never batted an eye about it. Side note-keep the letter from your doc with you on the truck, I was hassled by border control during a search a few years back.

5. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm surprised you got a letter certifying that the lorazepam won't effect your driving.

With side effects like drowsiness, sleepiness, blurred vision and dizziness, I'm not sure many companies would want you behind the wheel regardless of what your doctor says.

6. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    I saw one guy on said he got prescribed ambian which is way worse he took it 2 times at home and then started using it on the road...with a side effects like sleep walking and SLEEP DRIVING lol said he hid his keys the first few times on the road I mean at least I've been on this regime for years with no side affects and it still works great most things that have worked that I've tried stopped working from 3 to 7 days later... :(

7. McKenna

Sep 25, 2015
    And I have funds to buy a used one but that's last resort kind of thing thought maybe that would help in kind of way lol maybe but I wouldnt know so that's y I ask :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.