Getting my Own Authority.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Mysen1, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Mysen1

Mysen1 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2014
    I am a rookie,new to the trucking industry.One year accident,incident free Company driver, OTR experience in a few months.Been doing reefer,midwest,based out of the DFW area in Texas.Three-Four weeks out with Three-Four days off.Averaging 14000 miles/month.In the hope of making a few more $,and spending
    Some more time at home(and deciding myself when that would be) the plan was to apply to Landstar.
    With all the monthly fees going to Landstar and the E-Logs,I am leaning more and more towards getting my own company and authority.

If someone who is allready there would have time and effort to chime in with answers and comments that would be greatly appreciated.

-Is this doable for me?I consider myself hard working.Enjoy the driving and ok+ with record keeping,and paperwork.But,fairly "new" to the business..Don't mind being out 3-4 weeks,but wouldn't mind taking a week off either.Realize that in the startup fase it's gonna be work,work,work.
    -Joining getloaded.com (or other loadbord),as a total new driver there,will someone there give me any loads?How will a broker thrust me with the first few loads?Shortly,how is the demand /supply situation for freight/drivers at the loadboards.The fear being,sitting idle with no loads coming my way.
    -Buying a tractor,but I guess bobtailing the loadboards doesn't get you any money.
    So what's best to get?A dry van,or a reefer?Is there any age limit I should stay away from?Is renting/leasing a trailer in the startup phase a option to consider? (Prices?)
    -Do reefer loads pay better?
    -Is there so much paperwork that a mobile printer/fax machine is something to consider?
    -Factoring company recommendations,with % fee?
    -Average $/mile to the truck for loaded miles anyone?
    How much are you being paid?
    -Operating cost?Been playing with numbers here,but some variables do exist.With a $400/week truck payment,and 2500 miles a week,I come up with 70-80 cents/mile in operating cost.Is this somewhere close?
    Appreciate all comments,replies.
    Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't want to bust your bubble. As a rookie still alot to learn. My suggestion is work for a good o/o. Or call landstar and find a o/o thru them. This will give insight to be an o/o.it's way to easy to go broke. And right now good paying loads are harder to find. Not impossible but a little hard.. also don't do a lease purchase. That's like the fox guarding the hen house. Good luck.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Search around this forum and read everything you can. Many of your questions here get asked and answered over and over again. If you go on your own this early with such limited experience, your insurance will be very high. Freight is not as abundant as it was last year or the year before. Basicly capacity is more in line with demand. Customers like to work with who they already know and have established business relationships with. It will be difficult to get your foot in the door. You can start with hauling for CHR, TQL , etc. But even they have less freight. And they will always be trying to lowball you ..big time. It would be a very tough uphill battle to do what you are contemplating, at least in the current economic climate.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You don't need a subscription to a load board leased to Landstar. Your loads will all come from Landstar. They may come from other brokers now and then but you won't be picking and pricing them. Landstar agents will. You're not going to be factoring anything this not even a consideration. Landstar will settle with you weekly.

Any trailer can be profitable but profitability depends on you. Some are a little easier to get higher rates with. On average vans are the lowest, refers pay a little better, and flats average the best. There are exceptions to these are just on average generally speaking. Said this many times before will say it again, your profit will be dependent on if you can leverage yourself whether you're independent or at Landstar. Most o/o out here can't and don't. They don't do so well either.

70 to 80 cents a mile. Not even close. 2,500 miles a week? You're not even in the right mindset. Revenue not miles. Agree with Hyweighman 100%. You're not ready for this. Of course nothing wrong with learning the hard way. Lots of guys do it with no experience. Most of them fail. Of the ones that don't if they're being honest will admit some experience would have been helpful.

You need experience and you need a bankroll of several 10,000's of thousands to set yourself up for success. It only takes a few short years to position yourself nows as good a time as any to start on it.

Edited - I misread some of your post. Not everyone is cut out norvready for their own authority. Not everyone does so well with it. You can't just look at what Landstar takes as a percentage and think you're going to make more on your own. Truth is many people with their own authority would do better leased on somewhere else. The costs are certainly lower. In your shoes Landstar would be a good place to start and see how you can manage self dispatching. If you can't learn rates and lanes nor how to dispatch yourself at landstar you will surely do even worse as an independent.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    whoopNride and double yellow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.