Getting ready to start school or already started?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Concorde, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Don't wait until last minute, start the search asap. Thanks to @Chinatown and their advice! Start the search early along with calling companies instead of relying only on what their websites say. I ended up Calling Superior Carriers which is #1 on my list of companies I want to work for.
    I'm starting school on the 26th and wanted to find out if my school was on their pre-approved list...it wasn't but they are going to try and get it approved to accommodate me. If they do approve it the timing will be right about the time I graduate...and I may just have a shot at my #1 pick...One other thing, don't get into the mindset that you have to go OTR to get experience....it's BS.
    For those new to this site listen to what chinatown says, you won't regret it. Don't just go by what is written on a trucking company's website...call, call, call.

Lastly, don't think that just because you have no experience you have no chance at getting on with a great carrier..find the one you want and call.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you. Hope to see some updates.

Pete

Concorde Thanks this.
  4. Tex Pantego

Tex Pantego Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Keep us updated.

Concorde Thanks this.
  5. BigRedTheTrucker

BigRedTheTrucker Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    Good luck, hope it goes well.

Concorde Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's true, sometimes just call or make a terminal visit. A couple of new cdl grads posted on here they were hired by Loves Travel Centers to haul fuel. Some told them to not waste their time because they don't stand a chance of being hired, but they ignored that and did it anyway. Now they both have what they want, a local job that pays well.

Concorde Thanks this.
  7. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I was skeptical at first about calling before I was in school but your advice to start calling right away was huge help for me. At first I was told I could apply after a years experience since my school is not on their list. After a little while talking with them they decided they would contact the school and try and get them approved. The whole process will take at least a month so timing is everything.
    I was asked what I wanted to do and told them my ultimate goal was local or regional. It really sounds like I could get on local right from the start after training doing food grade or hazmat.

All I can do now is cross my fingers they approve my school and give me a prehire. Fact is, if I ignored your advice, a shot at Superior wouldn't be happening.

One thing for sure is I am grateful for the leg up you gave me.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. RDBG

RDBG Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2016
    I don't know about pre hired per say but I've had more than a couple tell me about themselves and that they would be more than happy to give me their road test once I have my licence. I suppose that's the next best thing.

I test for my licence on the 30th.

Concorde Thanks this.
  9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    I noticed your location says you live in Melbourne Florida. Which terminal would you run out of? Keep in mind the Lakeland Fla terminal is mostly local work requiring a daily commute. Carry Transit might have OTR from there though. You might have to move to get on with Superior. Good luck.

10. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    From what I remember being told I had two options out of Lakeland, one of which they currently had no openings. The local work is what I'd really like to do which was one option and the other I just can't remember (was too excited I think). Another option was up in Jacksonville or Savannah GA. Fact is I'd have to relocate as I was told I need to be within 45 miles of the terminal...I'm 100 away where I live now.
    If I get an apartment somewhere west of Lakeland I'll have two other tanker companies I could apply at.

Fact is I don't care if I run local, regional or OTR, or if it's a hazmat or food grade job. For me it's about getting a foot in the door with a great company from the start.

Also, the rep I talked to didn't mention Carry Transport but in doing a little research after one of the options was through Carry...Are they owned by Superior?

11. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Carry is the food grade side of Superior Bulk Logistics. Superior Carriers is the chemical side.

Concorde Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.