Getting stuck in tight streets

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by trucko, Oct 2, 2015.

1. trucko

trucko Medium Load Member

Aug 3, 2015
    So I am car hauler and work for individual owners. I go everywhere to pick up car. But my rand McNally GPS often let me down and tells me to enter tight streets from where I cannot get out. Since I started driving it happened two times and hopefully kind neighbors there helped me back up and get out. Now I am more cautious and always check google map before entering neighborhood.

What do you do to avoid tiny streets, to make sure you can get out, do you ask customers to drive their cars to your truck? I did it and it does not make customers happy at all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    Some guys get a rollback truck to shuttle it if a big truck can't fit, right?

Same way bed buggers sometimes rent a Uhaul to take stuff a little at a time. Seems like a PITA.

Karen O Thanks this.
  4. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Get out and walk and survey , a pita I know but it's better than being stuck

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  5. justcarhaulin

justcarhaulin Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2015
    I think it's all about how you talk to the customers. I always tell them that I have other cars on the top deck so I have to watch out for trees so a little understanding is appreciated. If am picking up and the customer isn't willing to meet at an alternate location then I just cancel. Communication and Google maps plus walmart helps alot

Karen O and truckon Thank this.
  6. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Google maps is a big help but recently I've gotten to where if it even looks close to a tight squeeze or there is trees around I'll find a parking lot or side of the road and have them meet me. Not worth what could happen over one pov car.

Sometimes they don't have a friend that can follow them to me and in that case I drive them back to thier house.

I'm doing almost all full loads for dealers now thank god so I am dealing with this less and less

NavigatorWife and truckon Thank this.
  7. MrBill103

MrBill103 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Central PA
    I got jammed up on Wednesday last week in Scranton, Pa. One of our other drivers told me how to get in which the last turn was into a dead end street where the dealer was. He said the dealer will back you across the intersection and then just turn right and leave the way you came. Well, small dump truck parked on the corner made it about 6 feet shy of making the right turn to get out so there I sat. After some discussion about backing up a couple blocks and getting out someone finally moved a car and was able to maneuver out of there. Like Dog-c said do some walking, which is something I do often just to avoid this type of situation.

NavigatorWife and truckon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.