Ghost surges.

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ethos, May 18, 2016.

1. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Do any of you guys ever get those little surges after you have been parked for a while? I was taking my 30 tonight, I've been sitting still for 21 minutes and I just felt a little bump. Maybe it's the airbags settling or something but it happens to me from time to time, kinda funny but it always makes me check my mirrors. I call them ghost surges.

truckwhispers Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I had a few of those. One guy beside me asked why my truck jumped and I told him it was that wicked acid that doesn't like being in a confined space & it wants out. Can't describe the look on his face.

4. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    What a strange phenomenon. Never had surge after 2 minutes of being parked. I usually haul the same 15 or so chemicals though. Sometimes if I pull forward from the fueling lane and get out right away, the truck will jiggle and almost make me fall lol. What were you hauling?

Orange713 and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    I got those from time to time at a previous company. A very subtle air leak in the air ride was the cause. Couldn't hear it, but it was enough to cause the trailer air bags to slowly deflate, which causes the trailer to push the truck forward. It actually has enough force to overpower the trucks brakes for a split second and shift the truck forward a little, usually with a 'pop'.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't know what Ethos was hauling, but I was hauling phosphoric acid.
    I thought about it and decided maybe it's caused from wind gusts, but takes awhile for the energy of the wind to transfer to the liquid. Not unlike a tugboat pushing the side of a large ship. You'll see the tugboat pushing hard and the water churning from the tug screws, but the ship isn't moving. The tug will back off, then a few seconds or minute later the ship moves sideways. When the tug initially backs off, you wonder why he stopped pushing before the ship started moving, then you figure out it took awhile for the energy to transfer from the tug to the ship.
    Maybe I'm tired and over thinking it.

ethos Thanks this.
  7. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    So this trailer is air ride, maybe 30% of the trailers I pull are so that might explain why I don't feel it very often. It is so slight you just barely feel it when it happens. Perhaps, there is something going on with the bags back there. This is strange indeed, some of you are saying you feel it and some are not. Weird stuff. It is not the same feeling you get from wind moving you truck but I do grant the possibility that wind could move the trailer which of course would move the product.

8. Thermos Bottle

Thermos Bottle Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2015
    GA
    I bet it's happened to me, but I was asleep and didn't realize it.

ethos Thanks this.
  9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    On our air ride trailers if you don't set the trailer brakes before the tractor brakes the trailer air bags deflating can put forward pressure on the truck. We got a memo about binding landing gear if we drop a trailer in that condition. Pull both buttons at the same time, let the trailer bags deflate, push in the yellow knob and the truck moves forward a couple of feet. I bet it has something to do with air bags.

10. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Yup happen to me, at first I thought someone bump me. It has to do something with the air ride on the trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.