Gilster Mary-Lee

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Thephoenixlives, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Thephoenixlives

Thephoenixlives Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2013
    A couple of years ago I drove for gilster. My truck was old 3rd rebuild (they do all the new drives that way). But I never had a paycheck less than 1000, good insurance, never sat for a load except the last. The are a food manufacturer so the need the trucks back to the their DC in in Southeast Missouri. I drove back from Canada empty because no back haul available. I was home every weekend unless I asked for a weekend load as well as at least once through the week. I wish I could go back.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I never worked for that company but I knew a bunch of people that did work there and I can vouch for what you are saying because all of those people said it was one of the best jobs that they ever had and they had no interest in working elsewhere

4. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Is there any reason you can't? The company still exists.

5. Thephoenixlives

Mar 31, 2013
    Oh yah they exists. But I had a bad winter with them.

6. Thephoenixlives

Mar 31, 2013
    At that time they also reimbursed your cell phone cost

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    How many miles do some of those truck have on them?

8. Thephoenixlives

Mar 31, 2013
    In 2008 I was driving a 98 and I believe it was a truck ordered with no engine or transmission and put one in out of a wrecked truck. It would only register 999,999 on the odometer. I figured it rolled over a couple of times. I know right before I left they rebuilt the engine again. It was also scheduled to be come a local only in a few months. But there are people who have been there a long time that had brand new trucks. For all I know they dropped that engine and transmission in a new truck. 559 was no longer her services able.

9. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    I see them still running some early to mid 90's Freightliner FLD's...so your guess is as good as anyone's. Imagine 100,000 miles a year for 22 years. LOL!
    Sure the engines, transmissions, and rears are gonna be rebuilt or new...but what does the interior look like after 40 different drivers have lived in it?

Lonesome and 77smartin Thank this.
  10. Thephoenixlives

Mar 31, 2013
    They pay by the hub so even the time I got turned around on I-69/96 in Michigan (where they split) on my way to Canada I got paid for 200 extra miles

11. Thephoenixlives

Mar 31, 2013
    I haven't seen many FLD's still out except locals. But that was what I wrecked. It only had 2 or 3 drives before me I was told and it was ten years old. Interior was acceptable. I bright my own mattress as I did at every company. I only had enough downtime to sleep so I never worried about much else and was home for my 34 each week. They do have some of the best driver retention in the industry. They do take newbies between March and October so there is a change a truck we b t trough a couple rookies. And senority get you a newer truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.