Glass division tarping?

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by mxpx148, Jun 24, 2015.

1. mxpx148

mxpx148 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Does you guys in the glass division tarp the glass or do you use the rollover tarps? If standard tarps, do you tarp most loads of do most come pre-tarped?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USIT420

USIT420 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    That depends. Rolltops are pretty much for dedicated accounts/drivers, and even OTR drivers sometimes have to pull dedicated loads.

As an OTR glass driver you get preloads and live loads. On the preloads the tarps are already on the glass and tied down at the corners, you'll have to finish the tarp job when you get it. For live loads you do it all and you'll almost always have help from a crane operator to get them pulled. It seemed like the live
    load ratio was higher last year, this year, for me, it's been about 80% preloads., which is good.

mxpx148 Thanks this.
  4. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    Thanks 420...how many miles do you average a week? I'm torn between going with glass or TCD.

5. USIT420

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    All I've ever averaged in 3 years at Maverick is 1800 miles a week. If you're a student you should get more than that until you hit your year mark, then they'll drop your miles some. I could really write a story on my experience with Maverick. Good and bad experiences, but overall they're the best company I've ever worked for and what they advertise has been way more accurate than any other company, in my experience. Just watch out for the old tractors, the 2012s have alot of electrical and DEF issues, but those are on the way out.

Did you say TCD? Go with glass, unless you really don't like physical labor. No judgement here, I'm just saying. Grocery loads are some of the worse in the industry and typically don't go far and have alot of unloading time. I'm sure someone at Maverick in TCD could weigh in. Great company, though. You're making the right choice

mxpx148 Thanks this.
  6. mxpx148

Oct 2, 2013
    NEPA, PA
    So they drop your miles as the pay goes up? Not liking the sound of that.

7. kmoore2min

kmoore2min Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    They don't. I averaged about 2200-2300 per week for 2 years after I got the hang of it and more when I stayed out 3 weeks or better at a time.

mxpx148 Thanks this.
  8. USIT420

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Uh, yeah they do. If you come in as a student you'll average close to 3k miles a week, some average more than that. You're considered cheap labor, that's business 101. The cheapest drivers typically get the most miles. Even after you top out you'll still make money, just won't have to drive as much for it. Maverick delivers what they advertise, so if they say their average driver makes 60k/year then they'll do their best to throttle you to that number. For example, if you start at let's say.45/mile, then you do the math. Most of the newbs that I've met make less per mile but take home more money at the end of the week. So, yeah, they're getting more miles. Then you top out, and you get 2000-2400 (if you're lucky) a week. For this year I'm averaging 2000/week. Last year it was 1800. But mine are dropping again, because I'm in a defective freightliner that's in the shop weekly. But if I had one of those nice new trucks then I'd probably be more consistent.

Also, I heard a rumor last week that otr is going to be all roll tops in the future. I have no first hand knowledge of this, just heard several people talking about it in Laurinburg.

dragginmaster Thanks this.
  9. runhard

runhard Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Stone Mountain Ga
    Yes this is true. I myself I'm trying to switch over to the glass division and I haven't heard anything back. I'm getting a little impatient. This sitting around getting loaded/unloaded is for the birds!

10. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I don't understand how anybody does only 1800 a week. I've averaged 2500+ a week for 3 months. Only complaint I've had is the ridiculous amount of liveloads and how long it takes. In fact I'll be driving again today to another liveload which will put me at 70% liveloads the past few weeks.

11. USIT420

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, for a while there it was 1800 miles a week. Ever since the FM shakeup I've been averaging 2400+. Go figure, people always say it has more to do with the coordinator than the FM, So I've been confused but not complaining. It's been so good lately that I've already hit the advertised average 60k for the year. So everything from here on is just gravy.

Wow, that's a high as heck live load percentage. I'm at 47% live loads for the year. I used to really despise live loads, not so much anymore. The quality of work on the preloads has really dropped off. I darn near put in 2 hours fixing most of them. Rarely are any of them done the Maverick way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.