Glass Unit Training

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by seawheeler, Aug 29, 2011.

1. seawheeler

seawheeler Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    I start glass training in Laurinburg, NC tomorrow. I've had a hard time finding much information on Maverick Glass so I thought I'd document my experience. I've completed the orientation and flatbed training in North Little Rock. This is required for all new drivers, those with flatbed experience can skip the flatbed securement part. The glass training should take five days to complete and then I'll go out with a road trainer for 3 to 5 weeks.
    Should be interesting.

Rollr4872 and 123456 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seawheeler

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    Arrived at hotel last night and checked in. Went to room and found that I didn't have a roommate, that was pretty cool. This morning I meet up with the other 4 students and to my surprise they didn't have roommates either. Ever body gets their own room.
    This place is way different than NLR. You are treated like an employee not a recruit any more. Day one consisted of trailer training. They have an example of each type of trailer you might pull out in the yard. You also watch a few videos and go over each trailer individually, then take a written test on each one. I think we took five tests today. We also set up A-frames on a step deck trailer. Classes ran from 07:30 to 17:00 with an hour for lunch.
    They also gave us a large three ring binder will a lot of information about equipment and securement. Looks to be very well put together.

Rollr4872 and 123456 Thank this.
  4. seawheeler

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    [​IMG]

Second day of to glass training was focused on securement and tarping. There are three different styles of glass trailers in the yard. The drill is to break it down like you are delivering it, then put it all back together with straps and securements, then tarp it. The worse tarp is on the step deck trailer. You have to lift it to the top of the glass and it weighs 60 pounds. You have a ladder so it's not too bad. The other trailers have permanent tarps that you pull back to the front of the trailer. We had three groups and each one did a trailer today and will switch tomorrow. We also watched a couple of videos and took a test on the trailer we worked on. Have a take home test to do tonight on securement.

As you can see in the photo all the trailers are outside, so I wouldn't recommend starting your training in July or August unless you love the heat.

Rollr4872 and jellybean Thank this.
  5. seawheeler

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    [​IMG]

This is just another one of the training trailers.

6. jellybean

jellybean Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Central MD
    Great stuff keep the posts coming!

seawheeler Thanks this.
  7. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You're giving me flashbacks...LOL.

Great thread by the way...

I don't know who does the training down there these days (its been a while since I went through it)...but I know Bruce is still there, great guy.

8. seawheeler

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    Correct, Bruce Rick and Tim are the main guys for training. I have only worked with Rick so far.

9. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    You are correct when you say it it much different than Little Rock. I refer to it as the dark side of the moon! lol

10. seawheeler

Jan 14, 2011
    Central, IL
    I agree, and a whole thread could be started just on that aspect of Maverick. You covered it well in your thread that's why I started this thread at glass training. I didn't feel I had any new information on the orientation program.

11. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

I am enjoying your thread! I have never had any experience with glass or what you guys have to go through to secure and set up the A frames ect...so I am learning something new which I enjoy!:biggrin_25514:

seawheeler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.