Glider Kits and FET Tax

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Caterpillar Cowboy, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    Well I'm actually thinking about building a glider kit for the old fashioned reasons, taking the powertrain out of a truck I already own, retiring that truck and putting the power train into the glider kit.

With 99% of new glider sales beings to get around emissions motors, and not as much to 'update' an older truck, I kinda figured the FET situation would be evolving as well, and it appears that it is as doing a Google search I cannot find a concrete answer.

I plan on using for sure the engine and transmission I have now, I may go with a rolling glider though as I'd like to get a different set of rear ends, may as well let the factory put them on.

oldtrucker66 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    I can't believe no one has responded. I'm not a certified internet legal or tax adviser so I can't help you. I will say this: get your advice from a reputable source (no the IRS is not reputable, they tend to be biased) because the wrong decision can end up costing you a bunch.

4. Dieseltu

Dieseltu Light Load Member

Sep 10, 2015
    Ohio
    Whats a glider kit.

5. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    I bought a Fitzgerald glider completed back in March and didn't have to pay it. I wouldn't think that you Would need to pay it if, going and getting the glider then using your parts and assembling it yourself. Call your Pete dealer and tell them you want a rolling glider and you need a price and ask if they have to include it.

6. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    It is a new truck with no engine or tranny, so you can install a pre emissions rebuilt engine. Do an Internet search on glider trucks and you will see the details.

7. savage02

savage02 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Upstate, NY
    You pay FET on only the NEW parts of the kit. If you were to buy a rolling glider you pay on the whole rolling glider then put your used engine and transmission in. If you buy a completed rolling glider from say Fitzgerald for example the FET is charged on the rolling assembely when they purchse it from say Peterbilt for example but not the engine or transmission which they are installing to complete the tractor. So basically the FET is payed by Fitzgerald and absorbed into their selling price to the customer once the glider is completed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.