Going Flatbed and Need Some Setup Advise

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by Hegemeister, May 5, 2016.

1. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have a conventional tractor (T680) pulling van now with a Tripac. I think installing a rack behind the cab might involve some modifications. I see a lot of trucks pulling flats with no rack.
    Where would the chains and binders be stored? I know a headache rack is no longer required by law.
    I'm just trying to set myself up without incurring a time consuming modification to the tractor assuming it's at all possible. Please help me out. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    You can buy bars that allow you to raise the rack over the tripac bracket. I think it cost me $40 for mine.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I kept all my chains binders and straps in my trailer boxes all winter to keep the salt brine off them, tarps were on the deck. You could do that year round.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  5. Hegemeister

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I ran flatbed for a short time years ago. I just don't want to run all over wasting time running into problems. So guys, if needed at least temporarily, keep all equipment in the trailer box and tarps on the deck just to keep moving?

6. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    I keep my tarps on the deck. Takes all of 10 minutes to secure to a new trailer. What i did is i took a cut strap and used it to secure the tarps. Being short reduces the winch time. I do have a rack for my chains. All straps stay in the box below my sleeper

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  7. Hegemeister

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks all! Does anyone have the name of the source(s) for Landstar for the equipment and racks?

8. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    @Hegemeister if you are planning on pulling one of Landstars flatbed/step trailers they Don't have toolboxes on them, so you would have to store equipment on your truck

9. Hegemeister

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yeah. I just learned that. Look like I'll need a rack. But that's not enough? I was told I can buy a box and mount it on the trailer, then take it when it buy a trailer?

10. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    I think they will allow that. I think @SHC did that when he was pulling a company flatbed

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  11. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I would find a headache rack. A side-box full of chains and binders sounds as fun as a barrel of monkeys.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.