Going Over the Road with Knight

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Misesian, May 23, 2014.

1. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Fun, mine was also fresh student. Tho it seems I got lucky with him he pulls 500-650 miles per day and is always wanting to run run run. If I did not already know when he got on my truck he was fresh I would of never known.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I will definitely be getting the student Monday. Things were a little slow these past two weeks. Still making good money just slower than normal. I was at a customer to get a preloaded trailer a couple of days ago and when I did the pre trip the guy had dropped it off with one tire showing steel in several places and another one was completely blow out; no tire along the inside of it. I could put my hand through it and could even push it off the rim with just my hand. I was blow away by that; couldn't believe it. My DM said he called the other driver's DM who denied that the guy dropped it there that way. What a crock of BS. That driver knew what he was doing. You couldn't miss it.

Fajo Thanks this.
  4. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Hope things are going well with ya Misesian, Not had a update from ya in a while. I have had some wild changes the last few months.

Here back in beginning of May I parked my truck and went back company side, Did some student training and drove the new rigs, well that lasted about 2 months. I pulled my truck back out of mothballs here last week and am running it again. For any one ever trying to go from a O/O or L/P back to a company driver I want to say it's not as easy as one thinks, I had a hard time getting out of the mind set and having control of my truck.

Anyways hope things are going well for you Misesian, How did the student worked out for ya ? I might see ya out there sometime soon, I may take a trip to PA or down to FL soon just to change up the monotony of doing back and forth between Boise, ID. and Cheyenne, WY.

As always stay safe everyone.

boiseburb Thanks this.
  5. sleepily

sleepily Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Somewhere, Rhode Island
    Not to hijack the thread or anything; but how much control can you have on a LP on a low cpm program? You have to run to make that payment, and are at the mercy of your dispatch.

(I'm trying to figure out if a LP with Knight can be worthwhile, the post isn't intended to be anything other than information seeking, not bashing in any way.)

6. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID

I tend to run a dedicated lane so control ain't that big of a issue, on the flip side tho I come from a relatively small terminal with in Knight and know my dispatcher quite well. if I want to go somewhere and we have a load heading that way, I normally have absolutely no problem getting that load.

Also, CPM is not everything tho they do tend to pay more then most CPM mega's. There is also x-pay that can be tacked on if the load requires it, Drop and Dentention pay can add up real quick if you get held up, and any time I have ever had to sit due to no fault of my own my terminal has always been more then happy to take care of me.

Is my experiance normal ? This one I cant answer I have heard horror stories from our own drivers just like any other company. I'm happy with what I do and who I deal with that much I can say. And im sure anyone thats ever been to the terminal Im out of will prob back that up.

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    It has been a little rough with this student. I am still doing well as far as miles go though. He has a CDL already and honestly I have no idea how he passed the exam. He is scary to ride with and had no concept of how a truck works. We loaded on day 1 and he couldn't get us out of the shipper. He kept stalling. I got us out to the truck stop and when he took over couldn't get us out of there either. He is extremely rough on the gears, has almost hit two light poles, almost hit a car making a right turn, numerous curbs have been jumped, and he broke a door off a trailer yesterday. I am not sure he is going to make it. I am doing the best I can but his head just isn't in the right place. It is very stressful.

Fajo Thanks this.
  8. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

Getting students like that are one of the reasons I passed on being a trainer...that and the freedom of driving solo following 2 months of team driving starting out.

Some ppl are natural drivers and some are not. I'm a 'natural teacher' (having taught sports, scouts, and Sunday school during my life)....ergo, a natural teacher is one who has knowledge and wants to share it as opposed to one who has the knowledge and wont share it due to their insecurity.

But besides the freedom of solo driving, the liability of having another drive 'my truck' esp when I'm sleeping was just too unnerving. The extra $ wasnt worth being responsible for others lives while my trainee was 'learning' in a 70' 40 ton possible death machine to those around me...

But somebody has to train....I decided to stick to stationary, on-the-ground teaching. ;)

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    He is rough but is slowly making progress. He is a very slow learner but I can see he is trying so I keep my cool. We don't team thankfully. I sit in the seat and watch every step of the way.

OverDrive Thanks this.
  10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    how long has he been on your truck?

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.